SK Motors

What to do when you cannot sell a car?

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

And me! 

Always do better with older stuff than newer plates money wise.

The only gripe with older stock is the after sales issues. Find usually when I sell a 62/63 plate whatever it goes and that's it. When I get rid of a 53/54 plate lump I almost always get a call saying there is an issue at some point no matter how well prepped and road tested

Yes that can be an issue but older cars will be! 

I tend to stick to a ten year rule nothing older does help anything older I find come with to many faults yet the customers still want trouble free motoring 

But not everyone wants or can afford a nearly new car. If dealers are effectively squeezed out of stocking them because of buyers unrealistic expectations what then?

1 hour ago, metcars said:

But not everyone wants or can afford a nearly new car. If dealers are effectively squeezed out of stocking them because of buyers unrealistic expectations what then?

They can go buy 'em privately where the consumer rights act doesn't apply.

We stick to 10 years old max now also.

Generally the older and cheaper a box is the more unrealistic the buyer is IMO...can't be bothered with them anymore.  

Happier spending my time selling nice cars to nice people.

13 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

They can go buy 'em privately where the consumer rights act doesn't apply.

We stick to 10 years old max now also.

Generally the older and cheaper a box is the more unrealistic the buyer is IMO...can't be bothered with them anymore.  

Yeah I agree!

I've currently got a cheap part ex for sale, 2000 W Reg up for £475. Get an autotrader lead today, "Hi, interested in your Corolla. Does it have cruise control or aux input? When can I come for inspection? Thanks" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Yeah I agree!

I've currently got a cheap part ex for sale, 2000 W Reg up for £475. Get an autotrader lead today, "Hi, interested in your Corolla. Does it have cruise control or aux input? When can I come for inspection? Thanks" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And the most annoying thing is that I bet your Corolla is a genuinely decent car for the money!

I had a 1999 Corolla Auto with 70k last year. Had FULL service history...as in main dealer stamped EIGHTEEN times. Was a really lovely car and where else can you buy a decent auto on a forecourt for £695?

Took six weeks to sell because it had a tiny tiny rust bubble on one arch and a couple of insignificant scuffs that every single person picked up on and decided it was too rough!

15 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

And the most annoying thing is that I bet your Corolla is a genuinely decent car for the money!

I had a 1999 Corolla Auto with 70k last year. Had FULL service history...as in main dealer stamped EIGHTEEN times. Was a really lovely car and where else can you buy a decent auto on a forecourt for £695?

Took six weeks to sell because it had a tiny tiny rust bubble on one arch and a couple of insignificant scuffs that every single person picked up on and decided it was too rough!

Ridiculous isn't it!!

Yeah, it drives really well to be fair, four matching Avon tyres with loads of tread! 2 X keys, even the air con works!!! I've had 2 test drives, both commented on how smooth and well it drove, but both ran a mile when I asked for cash!! (One of them shook my hand, said yeah I'll have it, asked where the nearest cash point was, and said I'll be back in 20-30 mins. Never saw him again!) 

We have just sold one similar, it went for 6k, it was m sport with 99k no leather or nav. It took 3 days to sell. We have just sold an i8, that took 7 days which I was really surprised about.

16 hours ago, grant8064 said:

Needs must when the devil drives! and the devil tends to driver cars over 10yrs and/or under £1k:D

Edited by metcars
  • Like 1

Happy to say I've sold the 320d today and taken a nice 118d Sport in part exchange. Customer said they'd seen the 320d advertised a few weeks ago and we're amazed it was still for sale !

14 hours ago, SK Motors said:

Happy to say I've sold the 320d today and taken a nice 118d Sport in part exchange. Customer said they'd seen the 320d advertised a few weeks ago and we're amazed it was still for sale !

be prepared for three phone calls tomorrow asking to come and view it !! its always the way 

• Like 1

Followed by: " but I offered you 2 grand less than than screen price 4 weeks ago, so you knew I was a serious buyer! How could you treat me so badly by selling it to someone else for more money?"

'Awful Dealer. Rip-off merchant. Avoid at all costs!'

• Like 1