Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Any Advice? Car Exporter Purchase

Hi guys, 

Hoping I can draw on your knowledge.

Had an ebay enquiry on a 5k car the other day, agreed a price etc but refused to proceed with the sale as the buyer wanted to complete and pay via telephone not having viewed the vehicle and then arrange for a delivery driver to collect the vehicle so it could be exported to the Mediterranean. Shouted DISTANCE SELLING issues and general unwanted hassle.

Couple of days later and I have just recieved a call from a car export company saying the client wishes to proceed but as we refused her they are acting as broker.

They have paid a deposit via BACS and I have explained that the balance MUST be paid by the mechanic coming to collect the vehicle on our premises and an invoice signed by him.

My question...have I agreed to open a can of worms?

Can any of you see any issues or anything I have missed?

Thanks in advance! 

Silly question... But I take it you've researched the export company having accepted a deposit from them?

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Silly question... But I take it you've researched the export company having accepted a deposit from them?

Haha, yep!

In fairness they seem pretty decent...long trading history on companies house.

Loads of talk about them on all these weird Jap import forums, not a world I know at at all but it seems quite a few people use them and seem pretty/very happy with their services.

Maybe it's just me being an old cynic!

Well in that case it could just be the EASIEST sale ever! Fingers crossed hey :P

I must admit this kind of transaction would make me nervous... I trust no-one these days as usually when something seems to good to be true it usually is a scam. Just out of interest where's it going? I'm presuming they drive on the same side of the road and that we're cheaper to buy from than her own country?

just in case it doesnt actually get exported make sure all paperwork immaculate as it will be you as last trade owner if anything hits the fan because dvla wont get a paper trail as he gets all v5 less the already missing into trade slip

i had one last year ,fortunately attention to detail saved my bottie:D

oh and take the money

28 minutes ago, s and b said:

just in case it doesnt actually get exported make sure all paperwork immaculate as it will be you as last trade owner if anything hits the fan because dvla wont get a paper trail as he gets all v5 less the already missing into trade slip

i had one last year ,fortunately attention to detail saved my bottie:D

oh and take the money

Thanks for the heads up!

It's off to sunny Cyprus!

I'm sure you will, and this goes without saying as you're switched on, but I would take loads of pictures of the car, ideally every panel and the interior, just in case it gets damaged in transit or they try anything funny once it's over there.

Just out of interest what is it?

3 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I'm sure you will, and this goes without saying as you're switched on, but I would take loads of pictures of the car, ideally every panel and the interior, just in case it gets damaged in transit or they try anything funny once it's over there.

Just out of interest what is it?

Thanks all for your input and advise...a second and third opinion never hurts!

It's a clean 45k 09 Merc A Class...in real terms nothing special at all but a genuine honest clean nonetheless. I guess if you want a comfy sit up and beg 5 door it works and you could do a lot worse.

Just an quick update guys...

Car was collected yesterday and paid for in full by the collection driver. All good!

Wahay that's a good result!!

Did you sell her a warranty!? :lol:

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Wahay that's a good result!!

Did you sell her a warranty!? :lol:

Haha, i'd have loved to but she would only have gone and tried to enact it from the Med knowing our luck!