Sign in to follow this  
metcars

MOT changes and DPF's

Some of you guys might find this interesting. MOT changes to be introduced in May following DPF investigation
New methods to better detect the presence of DPFs are under development, Department for Transport tells GW Research to better detect DPF removal through emissions follows fears that the current MOT is failing to identify many cases of DPF removal because it only includes a ‘visual inspection’ of the hardware.Research to better detect DPF removal through emissions follows fears that the current MOT is failing to identify many cases of DPF removal because it only includes a ‘visual inspection’ of the hardware.
Changes are to be made to the MOT as part of a revised Roadworthiness Directive which comes into force from May 2017 and new technology is being developed to detect DPF removal. In a statement obtained by GW, the Department for Transport (DfT) said: “Alternative methods of detecting the presence of particulate filters are under development and we are examining their suitability for use in an MOT.

“Further research is required to ensure potential methods accurately determine a pass or fail.”

The government investigation followed urgent calls for reform with claims that the current MOT is failing to identify many cases of DPF removal because it only includes a ‘visual inspection’ of the hardware, which can be welded back together. It is an offence, under the Road Vehicles Regulations to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The DfT said: “Removal of a DPF will almost invariably result in a contravention of the Regulations, making the vehicle illegal to use on the road.

“Potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van.

“The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition. “Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.” Speaking earlier this year, Dave Garratt, chief executive at the Garage Equipment Association (GEA), said: “[DPF removal] has been going on for a long time and it is probably getting progressively worse. “The biggest hole in the MOT is that they don’t really check it. “[Visual inspection] does not actually tell you if there is a core in the canister.”

Why bother ? The amount of cars without a dpf must be low in the grand scheme of things. I'm glad I buy petrol, although no doubt this will give the consumer another reason to reject a car as not fit for purpose

Yeah I've just read about this, although I knew it was coming to be honest!

This is going to affect the modified tuning scene as it's big business to cut open the DPF, remove the innards and weld it back up again. The EGR valve is also blanked and then the car is remapped to a higher BHP/torque output, and any files relating to DPF regeneration and the EGR are also removed so neither cause a problem again. It was only a matter of time before the MOT regulations and the tech they use to detect this was updated.

However the established tuners are already one step ahead, no matter how they read the parameters on their diagnostics... So in reality the cat and mouse game isn't over yet!

12 hours ago, metcars said:

“Potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van.

“The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition. “Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.”

Just a small observation, and this is not my area of expertise. We're all men of the world and we all know the various wrinkles used to get through MOT's, especially where electronics are concerned. But being prosecuted for trying/doing it is a new power for MOT testers? I thought only roadside VOSA could issue fines/penalties for construction and use issues?

We sell lots of diesels. We prep and check everything over as best as we can.

Let says next year someone pops their car into an MOT test that they had bought from us and finds the DPF has been removed are we looking at getting comebacks?

Currently if I sold a car unknowingly (no defence I know) with no dpf internals what would be expected of us? 

I hate diesel cars :D 

This sounds like another huge minefield for us. 

Guess we will have to MOT everything under the new regs to prove it left us in full working order.

Then if there is a problem down the line we will have to assume it was removed later on?

6 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Currently if I sold a car unknowingly (no defence I know) with no dpf internals what would be expected of us?

"The DfT said: “Removal of a DPF will almost invariably result in a contravention of the Regulations, making the vehicle illegal to use on the road. Potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van."

It appears that the details have yet to be hammered out, but it could be the thin end of an expensive wedge if VOSA are able to justify levying fines on vehicles with certain faults. God help us?

I am tester and run a VTS station, have to say we here this rubbish every year of introductions of new testing equipment and it never happens. To make this work a mot station would need to update its smoke head unit at thousands of pounds and the dvsa will not run this without resistance. If it was to be introduced it would be done with 1-2  years notice when the Euro Vi Diesel comes in as all the diesel testers will need to be updated then, can't see this coming into the test before 2019 and that's if they run with it.

Department of transport used to issue these press releases threatening  mot stations to upgrade the testing equipment to fully automated lanes, saying they were going to make it mandatory to upgrade, many did at the cost of £20-£30k and now after 8 years of its coming in soon, turns out it's been dropped. I saved thousands as I did not believe their propaganda.

Some more of Departments transports big ideas that never happened 

Caravan testing to be introduced 

kwik fit carrying out the mot training refreshers, lol yes this was looked into

12 hours ago, betginge said:

I am tester and run a VTS station, have to say we here this rubbish every year of introductions of new testing equipment and it never happens. To make this work a mot station would need to update its smoke head unit at thousands of pounds and the dvsa will not run this without resistance. If it was to be introduced it would be done with 1-2  years notice when the Euro Vi Diesel comes in as all the diesel testers will need to be updated then, can't see this coming into the test before 2019 and that's if they run with it.

Department of transport used to issue these press releases threatening  mot stations to upgrade the testing equipment to fully automated lanes, saying they were going to make it mandatory to upgrade, many did at the cost of £20-£30k and now after 8 years of its coming in soon, turns out it's been dropped. I saved thousands as I did not believe their propaganda.

Some more of Departments transports big ideas that never happened 

Caravan testing to be introduced 

kwik fit carrying out the mot training refreshers, lol yes this was looked into

Testing caravans might not be a bad idea?

What is your opinion on the idea of being able to levy fines for failure on some components as a precedent? If someone  "fudges" their ABS light wouldn't that be equally serious?

these same people did away with mot's on old bangers so you can now pull a barn find out give it a hose off and then insure it and drive away

or these same people have watered mot standards down so much these past 8 years to the point its a farce

with regards caravans it should be mandatory that chassis numbers are checked on a yearly basis before being accepted on insurance premiums as a way of stopping wholesale theft and moving them about the country

dpf it was supposed to be that it was read via obd but this was objected to on the grounds that some vehicle or equipment could be damaged if the canbus had been messed with

a classic example is an aftermarket stereo fitted wrongly to a vw group car

1 hour ago, tradex said:

As a caravan owner I think that's a good idea, but it should include all trailers.

Testing tow bar electrics is a good start, but yes I agree. You do some awful contraptions being towed about, usually in auction car parks. Plant trailers being used to transport cars etc

There are just not enough DVSA inspectors to go around giving fines out for defective vehicles, they are more interested in commercial vehicles and inspecting hgvs etc than the average joe on his way to work in his fiat panda. You may see some action taken in the big cities to make a point but in reality the DVSA are over stretched due to massive cuts which have seen a big drop in staff numbers and others being pensioned off. The chances of spot checks by the local inspector these days are very slim than they were five years ago. They rely on the public now to shop dodgy mot tests or unfair outcomes via the hotline so dvsa pick them up there on the appeal system and send a inspector to check it over.

The caravan test was also to include trailers over a certain weight but it was a non starter, there is a check in the current mot test for tow bars, making sure they're secure and no corrosion etc. We do have to check electrics on 13 pin Euro style plugs only, normal UK 7 Pin are not tested with our machines. As you can guess  have never once tested tow bar electrics or ever come across a 13 pin trailer socket