Willoughby

Cherished Transfer

Have sold a car and customer who has put his cherished number on a retention certificate with us as the nominee. 

The V5 for the car he's bought from me still shows the previous keepers details as when we took it into stock we sent the "sold to the trade" section off.

I know we can send the doc's off in the post to DVLA, change the keeper, and tax it in his name all at the same time....

He doesn't want to take the car on its current plate - when he collects wants it to have his private plate on......

Have looked at the online system but I'm not clear if I can do a similar thing online,,,,,,,as it seems to suggest the car he's buying needs to already be in his name first...which its not.....

An ideas on the quickest way to do it......

I too was wondering if retained plates can be applied to cars that have just been signed over to a new owner.

My thought is no, as you need a new doc number for the new keeper which won't arrive until a few days after.

If you want to do it online then you need to register the car to the new keeper, once the new v5 comes through you can then allocate the private plate to the car.