Sign in to follow this  
metcars

MOT certificates

Do you guys bother replacing missing MOT certificates these days? The problem I have is that as my cars tend to be older, the buyers still expect to see a piece of paper, even though it is now actually irrelevant.

I had one the other day, I just printed the page off that shows the mot status, customer seemed happy enough with that....

5 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I had one the other day, I just printed the page off that shows the mot status, customer seemed happy enough with that....

Same as this, one piece of printed white paper for another really. I include full MOT history printouts with all of my cars so they can see advisories on there anyway. If they insist I'll get a copy but rarely do

Agree with the two above comments. Infact some buyers have been pleasantly surprised to be given not just confirmation, but thr entire MOT history of the car.  Many people still are not aware of something we take for granted.

I use to get a duplicate but nowadays dont bother just print out mot status from online, if a customer seems unhappy with this i tell them to pop into our local mot station to get a duplicate. I know some stations will charge maybe 10 quid or so for this so helps if they know you.

• Like 1

some customers think you are up to no good if you cant produce a current mot stiffcat, so its often just easier to put a new mot on the thing

My other business is a Mot Station, I am also a Tester although  don't do much testing these days.  At our last refresher meeting we were told that they are looking at scrapping the mot certificate in a couple of years with account of it being all online. I can't see them doing this as it's not mandatory to give out a certificate anymore although everyone expects to get one.

DVSA work in strange ways so don't be surprised if they do get withdrawn.

2 hours ago, betginge said:

My other business is a Mot Station, I am also a Tester although  don't do much testing these days.  At our last refresher meeting we were told that they are looking at scrapping the mot certificate in a couple of years with account of it being all online. I can't see them doing this as it's not mandatory to give out a certificate anymore although everyone expects to get one.

DVSA work in strange ways so don't be surprised if they do get withdrawn.

My mate Tony runs a workshop/MOT place. I think anyone that thinks its a money making scheme for garages should be invited to spend a day watching the 'death traps' that people present as roadworthy!

3 hours ago, tradex said:

I know it's frightening at times.....whenever I wait for an MOT I amuse myself by looking at the 'just changed tyre pile' (I'm easily pleased!)...I'm always stunned by some old tyres thinking, what if that idiot had to pull up quickly in the rain behind my wife and kid or had a blowout on a fast road....or for that matter their own families safety....frightening.

My mate runs a local workshop, had a FIAT 500 in the other day where one of the front brake pads had fallen out it was that thin....I was amazed, but he told me its quite common to see them like that:unsure:...had a rear disc on 4x4 last week so thin it had almost seperated from the inner hub and did on removal....I could go on.

It may not make me popular but I would be in favor of 6 monthly MOT's.

And its not about 'old' cars its about relatively modern vehicles getting no regular maintenance. I had a woman here a few months back that argued having an annual MOT was the same as a service?

Just now, tradex said:

yes, heard that a few times when going over a p/x, rightly or wrongly seems to be a single woman thing...."any service history?"..."ohh yes always MOT'd every year without fail":unsure:

Sadly many  treat cars like white goods. Buy, use, never service, replace when broken

Mot's are up and down these days, not so long ago they were licence to print money. Were trying to build up our daily numbers with trade mts but it's a slow climb but we are getting there. 

My mates place in sale, manchester charges the full £54 per test and does 12 min a day :angry: 

Lucky swine