M.J

Locking wheel nuts

I wish i could remove them like he does. Would save us a lot of money! Unfortunately "we" are not a locking wheel nut company. But hey nice to meet you!

Ok well it's just that under your profile it says that your company name is WF Recovery Group. The locking wheel nut removal firm are part of the WF Recovery Group. Probably just a coincidence then.

32 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ok well it's just that under your profile it says that your company name is WF Recovery Group. The locking wheel nut removal firm are part of the WF Recovery Group. Probably just a coincidence then.

ya cant pull the wool over your eyes ;-))))))

Had the same issue today but noticed by the workshop during the Mot and Pdi. 

They rang to check we didn’t have it and then they bashed them off. New set of non-lockers fitted (it’s an i10 after all, but we would replace with a new set if on something meatier etc) and noted on Pdi sheet by them that LWN not applicable as not fitted.

The customer then signs Pdi sheet at handover and if a LWN is fitted it also states where it is and their attention drawn to it  

No fuss or hassle and just part of the covering your arse process -if you source out your Pdi with the Mot after the sale (and give the punter a copy of the Pdi) and do a good handover.

I’d not thought of photographing it though. What next? Maybe we should photo the tyre pressures and AC temp  ;o)

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

CYA.. most areas of life have now morphed into this being necessary.... I reckon some would even say they didn't get them even if they signed and were handed them.. 

• Like 1

Some of my mechanic friends usually just drill the locking nut out , weld some iron that they don't need and then pry it open carefully so they don't damage the rest of the wheel. I had some problems with some old Skodas and Volvos.

53 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I’d not thought of photographing it though

If you have a close-up photo and the customer loses the locking key you can supply them with a replacement depending on the car make. For a nominal fee of only £49.99 plus postage. 

We use a tool bought several years ago from an old fashioned engineer in Castleford. They operate as dynomec, they sell shed loads and have contracts with the AA and RAC.

By far the best £99 ive ever spent.

45 minutes ago, Stalker said:

By far the best £99 ive ever spent.

The cheapest Dynomec set I found now is around £170 and they have no option to buy online on their website, no pricing either. Will call them on FRI pm when they are in a good mood to try and spend a hundred quid with them :-)

52 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

The cheapest Dynomec set I found now is around £170 and they have no option to buy online on their website, no pricing either. Will call them on FRI pm when they are in a good mood to try and spend a hundred quid with them :-)

Nik, it costs me £20 each time for the local tyre place to remove them... I probably do 5 or more a  year....

Plus the waiting around... 

AD, 

I don't touch mechanical stuff, I don't want them for me. I want to give them to one of the mechanics I've used for many years to save him the welding, chiseling and all the other stuff he normally does. He likes his tools but I know he won't spend £100(+) on this :-)

• Like 1

The ‘spinning collar’ type, of which most are, are easily dealt with in 99% of cases as long as you can get a thin screwdriver, or similar, into the recess to execute item 1 below.

1) A narrow screwdriver hammered down UNDER the collar to break off the collar. You are now left with the round main ‘centre’ of the bolt.

2) Hammer on an undersized socket that’s tight (can’t remember if it’s 19 or 20mm) for a few mm, then slacken the nut a few turns.

3) With the nut & socket still on the car hammer off, sideways, your socket from the bolt (otherwise it’s a twat to remove an oversized round bolt from an undersized socket).

4) Remove the offending bolt.

Job done. 5 minutes per wheel.

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

AD, 

I don't touch mechanical stuff, I don't want them for me. I want to give them to one of the mechanics I've used for many years to save him the welding, chiseling and all the other stuff he normally does. He likes his tools but I know he won't spend £100(+) on this :-)

Me too, I just get instantly bored, frustrated and end up breakingthings, plus if I really try to fix something it never goeds back togeather... I simply don't do anything mechanical and leave it to the guys in greasy overalls.. My guys don't have the tool, but they drop it to the tyre place and pick it up, so its worth me investing in a tool to give to them to save time = money.

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

AD, 

Santas little helper came early, nice/wise move here.. :)

took me all day on a renault, with alloys, done many many in the past, its not a job i would consider when i ran a tyre bay, unless they looked easy, with the renaults the stud sticks out the other side of hub, and rusts, if its got discs all round you struggle with all 4, gas axe came out in end, and very carefully i got them off with minimal damage to alloys, they still need full refurb, but they did when they came in, goes on my list as 1 to remember              or forget :wacko: