Sign in to follow this  
thecarenthusiast

Buying at BCA

Evening folks,

Like everyone here, i've been stung by BCA a number of times, i'd say 8 cars purchased from BCA this year, they've had major faults (2 engine rebuilds). Reason for this topic is to see what can be done after the sale if it is on a 'sold as seen' basis.To help, i'm going to give two examples of cars bought from BCA this year.

1 - Grade 3 car, over 10 years old so no condition report, i'm bidding online and the auctioneer states what a mint car etc, stupidly, i took his word for it, won the car and went to collect, there were 10+ dings on each rear quarter (not exaggerating), and the front end had been resprayed by a 10 year old. Clearly not grade 3 and not 'mint' as auctioneer stated.

2 - In the pictures, no lights were on the dash, when the car came through the auction (online bidding again, no mechanical report), I asked the auctioneer if there were any lights on the dash, they replied and said there were none, fair enough so I won the car, went to collect the next day, and strangely, they bring the car out to me and the chap just walks off, i get in the car and to my surprise the dash is lit up like a christmas tree, and the kick in the teeth was, all lights were not linked to one fault.

From a legal point, given the two scenarios, where do I stand with giving the car back or getting some money back because clearly they've misdescribed the car.

Love to hear your thoughts guys.

Thanks

• Like 1

I know a guy who only buys online. He rejects lots of Cars that are not as described. But him and his dad must buy about 15 a week from them.

I was also told by one of the guys at Walsall. As soon as you leave the site, there is NO comeback. If you find a major fault, report it immediately before you leave the site. Also worth downloading the condition report in case it is not as described.

On 23/09/2016 at 8:44 AM, tradex said:

What have BCA said in relation to the two cases above?

To be honest, i've never contacted them regarding the issues because I thought it was 'sold as seen', but as it happens more often, I think to myself not everyone must accept their cars like this, so i thought i'd reach out here and see if anyone has been in my position and basically said no we don't want this car or we want some money off to cover the costs.

On 23/09/2016 at 11:16 AM, Ken said:

I know a guy who only buys online. He rejects lots of Cars that are not as described. But him and his dad must buy about 15 a week from them.

I was also told by one of the guys at Walsall. As soon as you leave the site, there is NO comeback. If you find a major fault, report it immediately before you leave the site. Also worth downloading the condition report in case it is not as described.

Saying that, i just bought a car online, in the description there was no mention of nav, but in the condition report (which i've downloaded) it states "NAVIGATION MEDIA", I went to collect the car, low and behold - no nav. It was hard to tell in the pictures because where the nav normally is for these cars, it's in a fold down cover like the merc c classes. I'm going to ring them tomorrow and see what they say.

Car auctions seem to be able to exploit the grey area between 'trade' and 'not trade'? They are motor trade 'experts', they inspect every car thoroughly enough but are selective about disclosing faults. How can you show 12 pics of paint chips and and ignore the slipping clutch?  All sales are 'sold as seen', not many businesses can operate like that in 2016.

Whilst i am totally on your side, been bent over backwards many a time by auctions, if they didnt run a sold as seen basis i dont think they would be in business for very long the returns phone line would have melted after the first sale. 

On 03/10/2016 at 0:06 PM, justina3 said:

Whilst i am totally on your side, been bent over backwards many a time by auctions, if they didnt run a sold as seen basis i dont think they would be in business for very long the returns phone line would have melted after the first sale. 

Yes, but interestingly, we can't sell what we buy from auction as sold as seen? It seems to me that car auctions are exploiting the hell out of their position of not being wholesale/retail/trade.

Edited by metcars

I couldnt agree more metcars, some of my worst ever customer have been the ones who haggled that few extra quid of a deal with you will never see me again sold as seen mate blah blah blah only to turn into a trading standards expert within seconds of driving off.