Sign in to follow this  
nickmaddren

Distance Selling Regulations

I have just been reading the distance selling regulations and it seems like a very confusing mess. I am just wondering what rights a customer has when I deliver a vehicle compared to if they visit my showroom? All vehicles are very vigorously photographed and I collect evidence that the vehicle was running perfectly before leaving the showroom just to cover my back.

So I am just wondering what should I look out for if I deliver a vehicle to somebody instead of them visiting the showroom? If we as a company deliver the vehicle instead of using a third party does that also help us out when it comes to our rights in a situation were a customer would like to return a vehicle?

Any info would be great thank you, I did search the forums for this however couldn't find anything matching my question.

We no longer deliver EVER ....no need and don't need the ridiculous mess as you say!

10 hours ago, TD said:

We no longer deliver EVER ....no need and don't need the ridiculous mess as you say!

Only issue we ever had was delivering a Mazda MX5 to London, the customer was dissapointed to find out it only had 2 seats as they wanted the 4 seat model. I kid you not :D

• Like 3

We avoid. If your T&C's are not correct then the customer is entitled to a 90 day refund instead of 7 days! The same if you don't follow all the procedures!

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Only issue we ever had was delivering a Mazda MX5 to London, the customer was dissapointed to find out it only had 2 seats as they wanted the 4 seat model. I kid you not :D

speechless 

Our customers use video to help with distance selling - as they can offer a full walk-round visual inspection of the car and answer any questions. Reduces the risk of confrontation when delivered. If you only sell a few cars like this, you could just use your mobile phone to create the video and email it to them?

I avoid it at all costs.

Delivered a Smart ForTwo to London, deal was done over the phone, once delivered, received a snotty email saying that the power steering wasn't working and he didn't expect the vehicle to have any such faults.....

I advised him that, that model didn't have power steering fitted, and being such a light car didn't really need it! Never did hear back from him again. Just not worth the grief.

Recently had a chap in France want to buy a mk1 MX5 from me unseen, I politely declined as it had TROUBLE written all over it......

I Try not to get too involved in delivery - long distance sale , But recently had couple of requests on ' older cars' which I declined without hesitation , but in reality even the later ones I simply say "sorry I have a showroom and cannot leave it unattended all collections from my premises ! " ... Genuine buyers all turn up. 

I guess it depends on the marque/s that you sell... If it is something a little harder to find or exotic, customers are going to enquire from further afield and may want to purchase over the phone.

Years back I once bought an Audi from Belfast 'unseen' and flew over to collect it. But the dealer gave me lots of confidence in the condition and was very honest on the phone about the very minor scratches. Its all about building confidence through transparency and trust. But ultimately I agree, your customers should come to you and as long as it is 'as described' or the true condition is shown in photos and videos, then you have nothing to worry about!

This might help one or two of you lovely people; we Email this to anyone asking for delivery and have never had a problem and never lost a sale because of it.

If they want it. they will come:

As a result of the onerous (from our perspective) conditions placed upon us by The Consumer Contracts (Cancellation, Information and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 with regards to an Organised Distance Selling Scheme, telephone or Internet orders that require delivery, without a customer ever visiting our premises, are no longer possible.

We are more than happy to collect customers from the local railway station when they come to collect their cars, however.

• Like 1