Sign in to follow this  
MDR95

Help!! Renting a yard/Compound/unit etc.

Hi guys,

i started buying and selling cars in Feb - I have been through 25 now and managed to save and invest. The time is come where I want between 5 and 7 cars at a time...

i have just moved to Sheffield and I'm struggling to find land to rent for storage etc.. Does anyone know the best way of going about.. I am budgeting around £200 P/m for the storage of 4/5 cars. I'm a full time uni student. So that is the maximum I want.

let me know your thoughts /- cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, MDR95 said:

Yeah I'm at university in my final year.. 

So are you operating as a proper registered business, paying TAX, insurances, warranties, etc?   Or trading on the side cash in hand, no come backs, etc?

• Like 2

Registered business, I have Trade insurance  and Pay Tax. I don't have trade plates yet either, don't justify them right now maybe when I have 6 or 7 cars...

I am still a full time student as I study 35 hours a week - this is a secondary business.

I dont do warranty, but that is due to the size - and with the nature of the cars I have and sell it is not an issue. 

Edited by MDR95

If your using cars that are registered to trade you need trade plates to move them or for test drives. 

I couldn't justify not having them. 

By don't do warranty what do you do if a customer has a fault with a car you sell?

if I buy from you do I get any benefits over buying privately ?

Yes I know that, However, I just tax each car individually through direct debit - the majority of the cars I get are low/free tax - Ill look at trade plates but this is easier for me now.

Any immediate car, I will give them there money back, but it is sold as seen - I trade from my house, its expected.. 

No none - customer's do not always buy for the extra benefits, a lot of people are wise to a lot of BS warranty companies... Customers buy the car.

ANYWAY can someone actually help we with my issue, I'm feeling an interegation - I know the rules my parents have a sizeable dealership and I worked for Porsche.

25 minutes ago, MDR95 said:

I know the rules my parents have a sizeable dealership and I worked for Porsche.

Obviously you don't, because otherwise you wouldn't be taxing cars without registering as the NEW owner.

I would be interested to know how your insurer views this every time you put one on the MID especially if someone makes a claim against you and car not in your name but you have taxed it

With regards your question you need to get on your bike like lamont says and look for somewhere suitable then knock on doors to try and do a deal with the owner

Depending on the nature of the car and how long I have it - I will infect put it in my name. 

What I do is down to me - I actually do very well! I came to the forum to ask for advice... I will get trade plates but the amount of cars I have - I do not justify it.

I came to the forum for advice. i understand that this is the standard on forums and most users will nit pick.

Hmm I think that will be the only way, I will only use it for storage an old drive/compound would be ideal.

So if a customer has a fault you give them their money back?

Are you Vat registered ?

You have sold 25 cars since February you must be doing something right. 

Don't think it's nit picking , just seems strange the way your operating , taxing vehicles puts another owner on them and is

costing you money... and  sold as seen ..good luck with that .

firstly rory 25 cars since february i think if we done 25 cars since february we would have closed shop by now hahhahaha.

Hi mike iv been watching this post and reading all the comments and frankly half of what you say does not make sense.

People on this forum are here to help you they try and better you not the opposite. How can you not justify the trade plates cost simply how its like £200 or under of the year you rather put cars in your name add a extra owner and tax them thats some rubbish mentality of thinking. Also selling cars sold as seen mate seriously are you for real ? 

you don't give customers warranties 

not to be rude but its people like you who F*** the job for motor traders on this forum who do the job properly such as prep a car check them warranty etc etc 

good luck with what you do no doubt you will realise everyone was right on here

dan. 

just out of curiosity does your advert point out that it's a trade sale or private, assuming you advertise in classified websites, or do you just leave them at the side of the road with an advert in the window and that's why you need to tax everyone?