Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Another Dealer Auction tale of woe

I was going to suggest a good and a naughty list thread for DA sellers so we can try to save a tiny bit of sanity dealing with our "fellow car industry professionals" in the main dealers.

I recently travelled a long way for an old RAV4 based on the superb description and photos, I was so confident I could have just paid the money & driven off. Everything was listed, even a correct guess on the EML fault!

On the contrary I bought a Transit again from miles away, I just asked the selling dealer if it was smoky at idle or any oil contamination before I travel and was met with "It's an auction mate". The price wasn't in question but surely checking the basics of correct fluids in correct holes shouldn't be too big an ask :rolleyes:. After I verbally leant on him a bit he tucked his tail between his legs and checked for me, I travelled with confidence and drove the van away :)

Some of the photos & descriptions (if they can be bothered to write one) are a joke, they deserve to keep those cars until the end of time

59 minutes ago, Daylight said:

I was going to suggest a good and a naughty list thread for DA sellers so we can try to save a tiny bit of sanity dealing with our "fellow car industry professionals" in the main dealers.

I recently travelled a long way for an old RAV4 based on the superb description and photos, I was so confident I could have just paid the money & driven off. Everything was listed, even a correct guess on the EML fault!

On the contrary I bought a Transit again from miles away, I just asked the selling dealer if it was smoky at idle or any oil contamination before I travel and was met with "It's an auction mate". The price wasn't in question but surely checking the basics of correct fluids in correct holes shouldn't be too big an ask :rolleyes:. After I verbally leant on him a bit he tucked his tail between his legs and checked for me, I travelled with confidence and drove the van away :)

Some of the photos & descriptions (if they can be bothered to write one) are a joke, they deserve to keep those cars until the end of time

So I'm getting the impression that even though its supposed to be a "trade/professional" deal, some of the vendors are treating it like a pot luck or Ebay sort of thing?

11 hours ago, Daylight said:

I've suggested a naughty list before but sadly apathy reigns on such an idea. I suppose because in the interests of balance we should always give a shout out to those dealers who are professional and can be trusted. I don't know, maybe folk don't want to share such information and keep it under their hat. Here's a positive for example. A Kia dealer in Milton Keynes. Always lists a full and frank description and when I last bought from their was honest enough to ring me up and declare that a car I had won from them had developed a small minor fault and although it would no cover the full cost, could knock the car down to their SIV and take £100 less for it.

17 hours ago, metcars said:

So I'm getting the impression that even though its supposed to be a "trade/professional" deal, some of the vendors are treating it like a pot luck or Ebay sort of thing?

Precisely. It is, or certainly feels like, a very 'us & them' situation. The clause of 'not been mechanically checked in our workshop' seems to be justification for not even giving the engine bay a cursory glance. What do they do their appraisal reports on, the back of a stamp? I'm sure if it was a px in their manufacturer group in age range for the plot they would check it over pretty well on appraisal why would everything else not be the same?

The best sellers are those that appraise & detail a 25yr old shitter like they do a year old car. Show me the stone chips & minor mirror scuff on that 300k 2002 Passat TDi! :D

6 hours ago, sparky said:

I've suggested a naughty list before but sadly apathy reigns on such an idea. I suppose because in the interests of balance we should always give a shout out to those dealers who are professional and can be trusted. I don't know, maybe folk don't want to share such information and keep it under their hat. Here's a positive for example. A Kia dealer in Milton Keynes. Always lists a full and frank description and when I last bought from their was honest enough to ring me up and declare that a car I had won from them had developed a small minor fault and although it would no cover the full cost, could knock the car down to their SIV and take £100 less for it.

I think let's make a single thread for good and bad then it has balance and saves the witch hunt, also allows good and bad experiences of the same vendor in case it was a one off rogue. Some examples of current auctions can be used for discussion too, then we can go to DA and tell them how to improve their service and of course they'll listen to us and the world will be a better place ... maybe ...

I'm off to do just that now, see you all in the members lounge shortly B)

I'll happily contribute. Got experience on both sides of the fence so to speak.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:43 AM, Jack Regan said:

won an auction  for a celica on DA, described and looked a nice car and when I got there to collect it was, check header tank and it was full of oil, salesman was with me and he saw it to and apologised, needless to say I left it..... Twos days later it's back on auction no mention of oil in header tank.... did they know it was full of oil ? maybe not.... but they do now , naughty !

i think DA should introduce some sort of feed back system.

If Dealer auction introduced a feedback system, Dealer auction would be out of business within a month, I think they know this and that's why they have not done it! Ive cancelled my account now would rather stand at the block and buy !!

23 hours ago, Len said:

If Dealer auction introduced a feedback system, Dealer auction would be out of business within a month, I think they know this and that's why they have not done it! Ive cancelled my account now would rather stand at the block and buy !!

Been saying this for a long time. I leave it alone now as the amount of misdescribed vehicles is unbelievable........ Like trying to find a needle in a haystack.