Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Another Dealer Auction tale of woe

Yes the big vendors pay pennies, but it seems the smaller one's definitely do not - perhaps it was my ignorance but I assumed all main dealer vendors are treated similarly. Apparently not.

56 minutes ago, BHM said:

Yes the big vendors pay pennies, but it seems the smaller one's definitely do not - perhaps it was my ignorance but I assumed all main dealer vendors are treated similarly. Apparently not.

So, buying from DA is substantially cheaper than Manheim/BCA? Or the cars are superior quality? I don't get it, a PX is a PX isn't it?

14 minutes ago, tradex said:

Maybe we could run a feedback thread on the closed section....one for the mod's maybe? The thing with the bad DA dealers, is that they always to be avoided or carefully bought from at the very least, you won't just buy the one shita from these guys in my experience? 

Sounds sensible to me. 

16 hours ago, metcars said:

So, buying from DA is substantially cheaper than Manheim/BCA? Or the cars are superior quality? I don't get it, a PX is a PX isn't it?

Yes a px is a px but on a web based auction I believe a car should be described to the best of the vendors abilities. The point being discussed here is that some (definitely not all, there are a few very honest appraisers) vendors are clearly not doing the most basic checks (or, more likely, knowing but failing to list them) and even when these glaring faults are pointed out to them they relisted with the original description totally unmodified.

Lets put it this way;

1) A Zafira with an alternator light illuminated & the engine running like a bag of shit should be declared in my opinion.

2) A Focus (shitty 1.6 tdci - I should of known better) with the turbo seals blown out & oil spewed across the engine bay, again in my opinion, should of been declared. I assessed its fault within 2 seconds of opening the bonnet - the fact some lucky blighter is about to win it again on DA based on its unchanged advert says it all about that dealership's scruples.

they give too much for these trade ins and try to get us to pay

5 hours ago, BHM said:

Yes a px is a px but on a web based auction I believe a car should be described to the best of the vendors abilities. The point being discussed here is that some (definitely not all, there are a few very honest appraisers) vendors are clearly not doing the most basic checks (or, more likely, knowing but failing to list them) and even when these glaring faults are pointed out to them they relisted with the original description totally unmodified.

Lets put it this way;

1) A Zafira with an alternator light illuminated & the engine running like a bag of shit should be declared in my opinion.

2) A Focus (shitty 1.6 tdci - I should of known better) with the turbo seals blown out & oil spewed across the engine bay, again in my opinion, should of been declared. I assessed its fault within 2 seconds of opening the bonnet - the fact some lucky blighter is about to win it again on DA based on its unchanged advert says it all about that dealership's scruples.

I suppose there's little incentive for these guys to declare faults and develop a good reputation if there's no accountability for them. It also seems that other traders assume to buy these cars with some fault or other, and if you don't buy they will. It's hardly surprising things are the way they are?

I'm struggling to convince myself its worth joining in on the fun at DA when I'm getting enough fun at Manheim/BCA already;)

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

they give too much for these trade ins and try to get us to pay

Absolutely. The problem dealers on DA are often those whose sales staff are responsible for advertising the trade cars. The dealerships with a dedicated 'trade manager' are usually better - that is until the (usually young) staff member gets his arse kicked cos the dealership have had their brains blown out on the last 10 p/x shitters :D

I think on a lot of occasions they are making more money on the p/xs than they are on the new sales.

A few months ago when prices were through the roof they must of been laughing their heads off. 

I was talking to a mechanic at one of the big dealerships who was telling me about a car they gave the customer just £1 for in p/x. Now maybe it was  a bit rough but even if it fetched £500 on DA then that's one hell of a mark up !

If it wasn't for threads like this I might consider joining DA. It would be easy to feel that the stock was a little bit special and the trade only aspect some guarantee against rip-offs, but that's clearly not the case? I think I'll stick with my regular old fashioned auctions

1 hour ago, metcars said:

If it wasn't for threads like this I might consider joining DA. It would be easy to feel that the stock was a little bit special and the trade only aspect some guarantee against rip-offs, but that's clearly not the case? I think I'll stick with my regular old fashioned auctions

If you just stick to the dealers that are near to you so you can pick the cars up yourself then it can be worthwhile. You can go and check the cars over before bidding at some places as well. 

There is a great dealer on there around 20 miles from me, always very good with descriptions and is happy for me to pop down and kick the tyres before bidding. Unfortunately they do not seem to have a great deal of what i am usually buying but i may get 1 a month from them so its worth it just for that.

8 hours ago, Max Branning said:

If you just stick to the dealers that are near to you so you can pick the cars up yourself then it can be worthwhile. You can go and check the cars over before bidding at some places as well. 

There is a great dealer on there around 20 miles from me, always very good with descriptions and is happy for me to pop down and kick the tyres before bidding. Unfortunately they do not seem to have a great deal of what i am usually buying but i may get 1 a month from them so its worth it just for that.

Oh, right. I didn't know you could check the cars over before bidding. That's always rule number one with prospective P/X auction purchases:D

Why waste you're time cos you may not be the highest bidder anyway? No point checking over what you can't afford. I check them upon collection BEFORE handing over my hard earned cash. 

9 minutes ago, BHM said:

Why waste you're time cos you may not be the highest bidder anyway? No point checking over what you can't afford. I check them upon collection BEFORE handing over my hard earned cash. 

Yes but if the seller is not too far away, then its not too much trouble to pop in and have a look, if they allow it, not all do by the way.

If you have actually seen the car in the flesh it helps to decide your max bid, for example i may be prepared to go an extra £200 if i have seen it and its nicer than they have described. Which may mean the difference between actually winning the car or not.

12 hours ago, Max Branning said:

Yes but if the seller is not too far away, then its not too much trouble to pop in and have a look, if they allow it, not all do by the way.

If you have actually seen the car in the flesh it helps to decide your max bid, for example i may be prepared to go an extra £200 if i have seen it and its nicer than they have described. Which may mean the difference between actually winning the car or not.

With a special relationship like yours with the vendor it's a shame you can't make a deal 'without' DA?:ph34r:;)

Just looking through DA now

Spotted a vehicle that looked familar. Vehicle had been to me for a service a couple of months ago, owner had popped in last week to see if i'd be interested in buying the vehicle off them.

I didn't. Was just too much work & prep on it to A. Make the customer a resonable offer B. To make any decent profit on. I decided to pass

Just spotted the same vehicle on DA at another dealership.

No mention of the lacquer peel on the bonnet, front wing, front bumper. The rust bubbles on the rear arch, the scuff on the rear qtr, or the rip in the leather seat & strangly enough there are very few images of the vehicle, and taken at such angles that they can't be seen.

Oh yeah... they seem to have forgot to mention that the dual mass flywheel is rattling away like a marble in a tin can

2 hours ago, metcars said:

With a special relationship like yours with the vendor it's a shame you can't make a deal 'without' DA?:ph34r:;)

Not really a special relationship, just they do not mind you coming down to view before bidding, where i have been regularly they are always helpful and even if i ring up they will give me any info i need on the phone.

They wont do any deals though, everything has to go through the auction. I think they may have had a few bad experiences with dealers previously which i can understand. 

as i said previously i was getting around 200 cars a year through DA, all within 60 miles of Newcastle.  the quality and volume hass dropped off dramatically of late

just like the clowns up my way who say allow £200 for anything missed

5 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

as i said previously i was getting around 200 cars a year through DA, all within 60 miles of Newcastle.  the quality and volume hass dropped off dramatically of late

Tbf isn't it a case of the quality of the p/xs are poorer cos people only seem to be changing cars cos their's has a problem. HOWEVER, the effing dealers should describe them ACCURATELY. 

2 hours ago, tradex said:

There are some DA vendors they only accept payment before collection....known to me, a dealer in Devon and another Brighton way had these conditions...yeah right!

I've noticed a few of these - no f***ing chance whatsoever. 

Upon arrival at a three dealerships recently I've been optimistically asked to pay "or do you want to see the car first!?!!!" I just smirk, look at them and ask "What do you think?" Fucking chancers - half of them couldn't accurately describe a lump of coal.

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

just like the clowns up my way who say allow £200 for anything missed

I wonder if they mean in addition to the DA suggestion of £150 or instead of. A couple of recently rejected cars should of had a figure closer to £1000 quoted! :D

BTW is there a problem with the dealers in Huddersfield? I've been to 3 & had trouble on every occasion. Funnily enough, all 3 couldn't give a toss. 

in all fairness a lot of my cars came from the same group and i could phone the guy directly who looked after them, that helped a lot

On 7/6/2017 at 8:48 PM, BHM said:

Exactly. 

Just out of interest, as a member of DA, can you buy and sell?

You can only sell if you're a franchised main dealer.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

You can only sell if you're a franchised main dealer.

Oh right