Sign in to follow this  
timcourt7@gmail.com

new glass guide

autotrader retail check is one

wbac is another

there are various ways of valuing a car online without trade guides, I dont  use guides my self i just work backwards from retail, less some prep, then some margin and that tells me what i can pay for somethin.

• Like 1

Blimey, those were the days, before auctions put trade prices in the catalogue. Sitting in the auction cafe, rushing through the lists with CAP book. Seems like ‘light years’ ago now. 

5 hours ago, metcars said:

Blimey, those were the days, before auctions put trade prices in the catalogue. Sitting in the auction cafe, rushing through the lists with CAP book. Seems like ‘light years’ ago now. 

Having to tap up a local main dealer to get last months book, arghh distant memories indeed. 

The smart phone has a lot to answer for. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:40 AM, timcourt7@gmail.com said:

it only values cars up to 10 years old

Anything ten years old is worth mega money as its cheap money in publics eyes , that's why , no keeping pace with old scrappers now days , 

As for glasses guide or Cap guide , well both are out of date day by day . waste of money joining them now days , better off guessing if you don't know the job well .

I've got an old PX CRV Honda 07 plate , £5,995 this piece of ancient out of date engineering is . 15yrs old and the interest in it is bloody stupid , Who on gods earth would spend 6k on a 15 year old banger . Be sold today I'll tell you , only went up 5 pm yesterday . Amazing .

7 hours ago, metcars said:

I miss those days actually , good old days they were , who thought they would end 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, David Horgan said:

I've got an old PX CRV Honda 07 plate , £5,995 this piece of ancient out of date engineering is . 15yrs old and the interest in it is bloody stupid , Who on gods earth would spend 6k on a 15 year old banger . Be sold today I'll tell you , only went up 5 pm yesterday . Amazing .

Assume its an EX Auto at that price, but yeah they do strong money. We got £13k for a 9 year old one recently, he actually PX a 07 one in. 

As for ancient out of date engineering, give me one these over some newer german garbage or some tiny turbo'd engine ready to go bang. They run forever and theres a lot of older end who cant be doing with all tech.

Another one that do daft money are the old yaris automatics the 2001 - 2005 ones.

8 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

Assume its an EX Auto at that price, but yeah they do strong money. We got £13k for a 9 year old one recently, he actually PX a 07 one in. 

As for ancient out of date engineering, give me one these over some newer german garbage or some tiny turbo'd engine ready to go bang. They run forever and theres a lot of older end who cant be doing with all tech.

Another one that do daft money are the old yaris automatics the 2001 - 2005 ones.

Totally agree.  We do sales, service and MoTs.  Big investment in diagnostic equipment and tools for BMW and MB.  But I love these older Jap cars like CRV, RAV4, Accord and Avensis. Very sound cars provided you check for rust. The engineering is not ancient, its actually better than a lot of the more modern crap which is all 'value engineered' to within an inch of its life. See a lot of BIO (belt in oil) problems - its a bloody stupid idea and the chickens are coming home to roost on those. I was disappointed to see Honda go the BIO route on their 1.0 triple - now recommending a 5 year change and we don't want to touch them. Its £1350 menu priced at the main dealer....

Edited by Halfpenny

Peugeot recommend no oil additives for their oily belt engine, thing is once it goes out of dealer servicing it goes to a garage that the first thing they do is ram an engine conditioner (their words) in it as un up sell, they are good garages they say, I stopped adding additives when I stopped using 20/50 in old shitters to quieten the big ends on startup

12 minutes ago, It's me said:

Peugeot recommend no oil additives for their oily belt engine, thing is once it goes out of dealer servicing it goes to a garage that the first thing they do is ram an engine conditioner (their words) in it as un up sell, they are good garages they say, I stopped adding additives when I stopped using 20/50 in old shitters to quieten the big ends on startup

Never used any oil additive , Just use GOOD oil .

Makes sense i suppose with oil soaked cam belts . weird idea that one though . 

3 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Never used any oil additive , Just use GOOD oil .

Makes sense i suppose with oil soaked cam belts . weird idea that one though . 

Our experience is that skipped oil changes causes the belts to start shedding fibres. I guess contaminants build up in the oil and attack the belt. Once the belt starts shedding it bungs up the pickup mesh and gets into the oilways. Be wary of any BIO engine without evidence of oil changes...

On 6/27/2022 at 9:12 AM, BIGNIT said:

..........Another one that do daft money are the old yaris automatics the 2001 - 2005 ones.

I think a lot of punters believe Toyotas, especially older ones, to be indestructible? They’re not!

On 6/29/2022 at 1:55 PM, metcars said:

I think a lot of punters believe Toyotas, especially older ones, to be indestructible? They’re not!

I find they are, but again if not serviced,  or serviced with 'Crisp n Dry' instead of Castrol there may be issues