Sign in to follow this  
Marian TDM

Looking for advice after I bought an exported car

Hello everyone,

As per title, recently I bought a BMW 530GT 61 plate with UK number plates and UK V5 document.
After testing the car I done a bank transfer and went online and transferred the V5.

After 2 week DVLA is sending me a letter saying that the car has been permanently exported and unlicensed and because of that, they are unable to issue a V5.

They would like me to complete a V55/5, 'Application for a first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle'. Along with the application they also want me to pay import duty through Notification of Vehicle Arrival (NOVA) at HMRC.

I am looking for some advice, can I do anything about it? The seller was private and I bought it for myself.

Thank you for your time and advice.

find a solicitor conversant with motoring law 

is it the case a stolen cloned car was exported? 

Edited by It's me

5 minutes ago, It's me said:

find a solicitor conversant with motoring law 

is it the case a stolen cloned car was exported? 

Hopefully not. 

Like I mentioned, he had valid MOT, UK plates and V5, I personally went on DVLA website and transferred the car into my name.

1 hour ago, Marian TDM said:

Hello everyone,

As per title, recently I bought a BMW 530GT 61 plate with UK number plates and UK V5 document.
After testing the car I done a bank transfer and went online and transferred the V5.

After 2 week DVLA is sending me a letter saying that the car has been permanently exported and unlicensed and because of that, they are unable to issue a V5.

They would like me to complete a V55/5, 'Application for a first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle'. Along with the application they also want me to pay import duty through Notification of Vehicle Arrival (NOVA) at HMRC.

I am looking for some advice, can I do anything about it? The seller was private and I bought it for myself.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Had a customer a few years back trading his Mondeo in, we couldn't do the cherished transfer sent it all off to be told the car has a 'export' marker on it from. DVLA had taken RFL money and it was MOT'd every year. the customer had to prove he'd owned it in the time it gained an export marker. It took 3 months plus to resolve it all. Luckily wasn't an issue as it just sat round the back and wasn't of big value.Guess you may have to check the dates /ownerhsip change etc.Good luck.

I just contacted the seller and he had the car since 2015. 
The car was purchased from Big Motoring World, he never exported the car and always paid MOT, Insurance and Road Tax in this country.

20 hours ago, Marian TDM said:

I just contacted the seller and he had the car since 2015. 
The car was purchased from Big Motoring World, he never exported the car and always paid MOT, Insurance and Road Tax in this country.

Ring DVLA and ask if a mistake has taken place with what they have told you , They are not that clever in a lot of cases , depends who you get on the phone a lot of times , 

Sounds a weird one that does . If the last owner is telling you the truth that is . Private buys are a risky way to buy cars of value , disasters can and do take place .