samuel welwyn

Mechanical report

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

I’ve just purchased a vehicle with “static gear selection (engine running)” on amber on its mechanical report.

Could anyone clarify what the general issue is with this check

The car is a manual Hyundai I10.

Normally this would mean difficulty selecting gears with engine running and vehicle static. Most likely a clutch issue - clutch failing to fully disengage (could be a problem with release mechanism, centre plate or pressure plate).

1 hour ago, samuel welwyn said:

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

I’ve just purchased a vehicle with “static gear selection (engine running)” on amber on its mechanical report.

Could anyone clarify what the general issue is with this check

The car is a manual Hyundai I10.

Clutch problem not going in gear .

BUT it also can be the clueless idiot who's checked out for the report , we bought an i10 with static gear section and it was AUTO , Nothing wrong , probably didnt know he had to pull the lever to release the gear stick , or press the brake pedal . 

Sweeping up one day examining cars next day ,

make your own mind up , works its ok , Cant find 1st or reverse then they told you , 

Could go either way , 

i dont actually hold much hope on reports anymore . 

EG Renault RS megane 265 cup chassis  KNOCKING ENGINE ON REPORT , arrived by truck , now we bought to convert to track use so engine problem was irrelevant to us as it was going to get rebuilt anyway block up with forged parts . car drove off transporter NO knocking , turns out it was the air con pump pulley cover that was loose , it was in the under tray , came unbolted . 

see what we are working with , complete idiots . 

hope your i10 is ok . 

Thanks guys! 

Phew was getting worried I bought a lemon.

I called up BCA to find out a bit more info but you can imagine how much information I got.

Ive bought a few grade 4s due to “poor previous repairs” only to pick them up with absolutely no sign.

Do you reckon some of the bca staff are making fake reports for tips? 

1 hour ago, samuel welwyn said:

who would believe:huh::D

3 hours ago, samuel welwyn said:

Either that or just incompetent. 

There was once a day at a Maheim sale  Leeds I think.

Can't remember which but every single car I looked at the assured report said brakes spongy and steering knocking.  Every single car. I found it a bit odd.

Went through the rest of the catalogue and nearly everything in that day said the same. I just ignored it and bought anyway and had some really good profit that day. Must have been a newbie tester without a clue what was going on.

Just remeber on these Samuel,one of few cars left with manualy adjusting clutch cable,at the gearbox end,is usually a star shaped adjuster ring towards the bracket on the gearbox,turn it anticlockwise to get the pedal at the correct position,we get loads of these where the clutch is far too high because not everybody knows taht you can adjust them,that term is used by BCA for any clutch/gear selection issue,regards,Peter

Edited by peter..o

50 minutes ago, peter..o said:

Just remeber on these Samuel,one of few cars left with manualy adjusting clutch cable,at the gearbox end,is usually a star shaped adjuster ring towards the bracket on the gearbox,turn it anticlockwise to get the pedal at the correct position,we get loads of these where the clutch is far too high because not everybody knows taht you can adjust them,that term is used by BCA for any clutch/gear selection issue,regards,Peter

Agree,adjustment doesn't even seem to be a main failure requisite anymore ,talking i10 I had one of those and the release arm was solid on the gearbox,it was like near impossible pushing clutch pedal down,a dose of eurocarparts cheapest spray oil soon had the arm sorted Alla Barry cade:D