Huggins

2012 Vehicle first UK 2015?

Hi have been offered an Astra but despite being a 2012 states first registered UK Oct 2015, there is no mention of registered overseas on the front of the logbook? Any ideas wondering if registered in the channel islands perhaps but surely logbook would state? Garage who supplied customer said it was just not registered until 2015! but MOT history shows it was 11k miles at that stage?!

Thanks! Is it normal not to show on V5? And do you think there would be a high chance it's had a haircut as only done 11k in 3 years before it showed up here? 

Edited by Huggins

Thanks BMX that would make sense as it's an auto also. Have you any experience of selling these Irish imports? Assume it's not normally noted on the V5? Thanks again

Yes, I’ve sold a quite a few over the years, no real issues as long as it’s uk spec, you just have to change the date of reg on the Autotrader advert back to 2012.
Most customers are absolutely fine with it when you explain it to them and to be honest if they start to get funny about it the they are probably not customers you would want anyway.
There was a car super market nearby that used to bring them over by the transporter load and re-register them, they never had any problems selling them. Motab even went through phases of offering free delivery over to the uk to shift them. 

If it’s a nice straight car, with history I can’t see a problem and you might be able to get it a little cheaper if your lucky due to the re-register.

Edited by Bmx Bandits

It could also be from the Armed Forces overseas vat exemption scheme. Basically it’s squaddies buying UK spec cars abroad cheaper.

When I’ve had them I didn’t mention anything in the advert & ensured all of the dates on the adverts are correct. However I do mention it in passing when the customer has a raging hard-on for the car & we are going through the paperwork.

I often find the log book will only say the manufacturer which confuses the auto-populated boxes on the advertisers websites so check everything including model, number of seats, doors etc.

Finally, as long as the car has been insured in the UK the customer should not have a problem getting insured as the car is already correct on the insurance database.

9 hours ago, Bmx Bandits said:

Yes, I’ve sold a quite a few over the years, no real issues as long as it’s uk spec, you just have to change the date of reg on the Autotrader advert back to 2012.
Most customers are absolutely fine with it when you explain it to them and to be honest if they start to get funny about it the they are probably not customers you would want anyway.
There was a car super market nearby that used to bring them over by the transporter load and re-register them, they never had any problems selling them. Motab even went through phases of offering free delivery over to the uk to shift them. 

If it’s a nice straight car, with history I can’t see a problem and you might be able to get it a little cheaper if your lucky due to the re-register.

Brilliant that's  a great help, thanks.

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

It could also be from the Armed Forces overseas vat exemption scheme. Basically it’s squaddies buying UK spec cars abroad cheaper.

When I’ve had them I didn’t mention anything in the advert & ensured all of the dates on the adverts are correct. However I do mention it in passing when the customer has a raging hard-on for the car & we are going through the paperwork.

I often find the log book will only say the manufacturer which confuses the auto-populated boxes on the advertisers websites so check everything including model, number of seats, doors etc.

Finally, as long as the car has been insured in the UK the customer should not have a problem getting insured as the car is already correct on the insurance database.

Many thanks for your help as always BHM, really appreciated.

8 hours ago, BHM said:

That was a superb scheme for Army personnel normally based in Germany. Nearly all of car manufacturers gave very substantial discounts on top of the 20% VAT saving.  There were thousands of cars going over thought this sales channel. The manufacturer I worked for gave 18% discount and free LHD headlamps in most of their range. I was supplying over 150 cars a year. 

As you only had to keep the car 9 -12 months, most changed their car yearly as nearly all made money from the scheme and I would get really clean year old low mileage cars to sell on. Normally the cars were only driven short distances by the wives while in Germany and most of the mileage was normally done driving them to Germany and then back again to swap for the new one. They where good times  :lol:

18 hours ago, Bmx Bandits said:

That was a superb scheme for Army personnel normally based in Germany. Nearly all of car manufacturers gave very substantial discounts on top of the 20% VAT saving.  There were thousands of cars going over thought this sales channel. The manufacturer I worked for gave 18% discount and free LHD headlamps in most of their range. I was supplying over 150 cars a year. 

As you only had to keep the car 9 -12 months, most changed their car yearly as nearly all made money from the scheme and I would get really clean year old low mileage cars to sell on. Normally the cars were only driven short distances by the wives while in Germany and most of the mileage was normally done driving them to Germany and then back again to swap for the new one. They where good times  :lol:

:D

On 1/19/2022 at 9:24 PM, Bmx Bandits said:

Is it a uk spec car? could be an Irish ex motab car.

Vauxhalls are not sold in Southern Ireland. Would be branded Opel over there 

• Thanks 1