Sign in to follow this  
johny1980

Car Diagnostic Tool

Hey All, 

Its probably been asked before but what's the best tool overall for checking cars?

I am a part time trader and had just been winging it with my own judgement and visual checks. But, i got to car sale 34 and have had my first issue that's cost me with a dodgy engine on an A4.

Ideally looking for something straight forward to use for up to or around £200 but could go higher.

I had noticed the icarsoft pro, I don't know if that's any good 

Thanks in advance and all the best for 2022

Edited by johny1980
Mis spelll

At that kind of price it's hard to see past topdon800bt. 

In your price range you will not get a professional level tool - it will be top end consumer level.

Look at products from Topdon and Foxwell - both do a range of devices around your budget.

My quick tool of choice is my launch crp123 but for a 2er try the crp129 or indeed the foxwell equivalent 

Thanks all, I don't mind spending more tbh (say up to £400) 

But, it's whether I'd get the use out of it. I'm only wanting to know if there are any apparent major faults .

I can't imagine myself resetting stuff etc, I'd be scared of breaking something!

Your better spending nearer the 400. Wifi touchscreen, been able to reset battery, parking brake etc. The foxwells around 200 are woeful, be prepared to spend 10 hours updating then to find out you need to manually type in a VIN for citroens, Hyundai etc 

Personally, I would say don’t bother! Most of these cheap bottom-end code readers can’t be trusted. Even as something to throw in the bag for ‘auction collection capers’, you can’t take them seriously. 

I think there’s a case for keeping up to date with automotive technology, and being aware of what’s possible. But ultimately, let your mechanic invest in diagnostic equipment and spend his money on the tools. 

:)

Diagnostic tools are only good as its user!

Unless you know whats going on, that fault code might not mean that part is faulty. End up either tearing your hair out and throwing it back through the ring, or finally giving up and taking it to your mechanic to be told that you should have bought it their first as you wouldn't have needed to replace this, that and whatever to still be at square 1.

Having said that.... We got a handheld Autel one that cost about £80. My knowledge goes as far as checking the codes, deleting them, a good drive and see what comes back - then straight up to the mechanic to fix it.

16 hours ago, D&M said:

Having said that.... We got a handheld Autel one that cost about £80. My knowledge goes as far as checking the codes, deleting them, a good drive and see what comes back - then straight up to the mechanic to fix it.

+1

16 hours ago, D&M said:

+1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, metcars said:

But ultimately, let your mechanic invest in diagnostic equipment and spend his money on the tools. 

+1.

Bearing in mind I don’t get my hands dirty, tbh on the old shite I sell my OBD reader does most of what I want. I think I paid £30 on eBay about 15 years ago.

From what I’ve seen the average £200-300 machines aren’t anything special. If you ain’t spending thousands on one you might as well just buy a cheap piece of shit that reads & clears codes prior to dropping off the car at your mechanic. 

Tbh whatever machine you’ve got you need the knowledge to interpret what the code refers too - let’s be honest, the most expensive machine ain’t worth a wank if it’s in the hands of an imbecile or someone as green as grass.

• Like 1

Probably a point worth making is that if I've actually bought the car and a fault/issues shows up then my mechanic would be the first port of call no matter what kit I've got.

Im wanting something to check for codes when i test drive something before purchasing.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Tbh whatever machine you’ve got you need the knowledge to interpret what the code refers too - let’s be honest, the most expensive machine ain’t worth a wank if it’s in the hands of an imbecile or someone as green as grass.

+1

im at a loss with this thread

i do a scan of all cars and enter what i find on my inhouse for my eyes only pdi

how do you guys get on when a car gets a flat battery and you cant say clear the airbag code

how do you know it hasnt stored pending codes

you must have good mechanics if you depend on them reading advising and repairng all issues

worst case scenario is you take it to them and they just clear the codes and you drive off to take your pretty pictures only for the light to return

:mellow: