smltd

Test drive

I had 3 people coming to view an M3 over the last few weeks and after briefly looking at paperwork they’ve asked if they can test drive. They were all very surprised when I said they can only test drive if they’re happy with everything else, want to buy and pay a deposit. They all jumped in their little city cars, left and never heard from them again. I used to be more relaxed about test drives but after a few encounters where it was clear for me in the end that all they wanted was to kick tyres, I’ve changed my stance. I found that if someone is serious about buying a car  they’ll pay a deposit or even pay the car upfront before collecting. 
How does everyone else deal with time wasters? Am I being too strict and risk putting off genuine buyers?

I don’t think you’re being strict at all, certainly not on a performance car. 
I had a similar issue a couple years back. This Audi man arrived looking at an A1 black edition and desperately wanted to test drive it even though he had already offered me £1500 less (by text) than the asking price without even seeing the car. Naturally I told him he needs to pay deposit for a test drive or better still buy the car and if there is anything wrong with it in any way I will refund him on the spot. He kicked off in my showroom and left. He then went on a rant leaving me bad reviews all over the place. You need to be careful with test drives because it tends to really irritate some people particularly if they have travelled a distance. My advice going forward is to qualify them better over the phone. I like to make it clear that we are arranging an appointment for them to view the car with the intention of them buying it based on all the hd images and 8 minute video appraisal. If they hesitate or say something you don’t like then you can make the decision to appoint them or not. 

• Thanks 1

If you're selling an M3 of course you are going to get the chancers turn up. have you sent someone packing you shouldnt have? you will never know. try a different tack. explain the test drive you will take them on is about 10 minutes, in mainly 30 and 40 mph zones, because the objective of the test drive is not to see what its like round the nurburgring, its to check its mechanically sound. after all, they know an m3 drives well, and will be more exciting than what they have at the moment, thats why they are here?

If they are still with you after that, then qualify them up fully and maybe you will sell them a car.

God knows about the M3 market but I suspect the newer the better when it comes to performance cars.

As for flogging an old p/x, anything even remotely sporty has always attracted the gimps, penniless, dreamers & bullshitters like moths to a lamp. The actual buyers are fine but the other 99% of punters are fucking diabolical.

When someone rings us for a ready done camper or a conversion, my first question is what's your budget.

Our conversions are around  £17k and New campers start at £55k.

If then only have £8k for a conversion or £25k for a done camper then it's a complete none starter. So lovely as they might be and as polite as I am it saves a lot of time from the getgo.

The only people who ever get annoyed at not having a test drive aren't buyers anyway.

• Thanks 1

Trying to get a budget out of people is nigh impossible as 

A.... They think you are going to lift their leg

B.... They always inflate their budget and then once they have had your time and knowledge and sat in everything you have shown them it turn s out their real budget is nothing like their wish list one

C,.... That's here anyway, Its more the other way round at the Moment where budgets can exceed their first expectations if you push them

To sort out test pilot s tell the customers pre turning up that they need to bring their driving licences as there is a form to fill in, it's am azing how many turn up with no licence so no drive needed in a normal  year and often they still buy anyway because they trust you

3 hours ago, It's me said:

B.... They always inflate their budget and then once they have had your time and knowledge and sat in everything you have shown them it turn s out their real budget is nothing like their wish list one

:lol: A tale - I was at the mechanic’s recently when he introduced me to a punter looking for a new car for his 18yr old son. In my experience these punters never have realistic expectations & never have any brass despite having 18yrs to save up. Anyway I start with a rant about small car buyers to which my mechanic started laughing. Anyway it turns out that the budget is ALLEGEDLY £2000. I pointed out that’s shite old car money & then asked him what he fancied. Apparently he fancied a VW UP for £2000!!!! I told him a £2K UP would of been dropped out of an aeroplane so he’d better take a reality pill. It turns out he may accept a “Nice low mileage new shape Fiesta” so with such expectations, after laughing I made my excuses & left. Three weeks later this £2000 man has made a purchase.....a £600 welded-up Picanto from my mechanic :lol:

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol: A tale - I was at the mechanic’s recently when he introduced me to a punter looking for a new car for his 18yr old son. In my experience these punters never have realistic expectations & never have any brass despite having 18yrs to save up. Anyway I start with a rant about small car buyers to which my mechanic started laughing. Anyway it turns out that the budget is ALLEGEDLY £2000. I pointed out that’s shite old car money & then asked him what he fancied. Apparently he fancied a VW UP for £2000!!!! I told him a £2K UP would of been dropped out of an aeroplane so he’d better take a reality pill. It turns out he may accept a “Nice low mileage new shape Fiesta” so with such expectations, after laughing I made my excuses & left. Three weeks later this £2000 man has made a purchase.....a £600 welded-up Picanto from my mechanic :lol:

Those are they:lol:

Then the ones who after making all the right noises pre-test drive "It's really nice , exactly as you described!" .... say "yes it's really perfect, can I call you first thing in the morning as I need to have a chat with the wife." 

You feel like a punching them straight between the eyes

That’s exactly what I’m talking about they make the right noises before and after test drive and never hear from them again. So asking for a deposit upfront should weed out the time wasters 

On 11/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, Rory RSC said:

The only people who ever get annoyed at not having a test drive aren't buyers anyway.

Exactly this. A genuine buyer wouldn’t get annoyed if you said they can only drive it if they are serious as they are actually looking to buy the car. 

9 minutes ago, James01 said:

Exactly this. A genuine buyer wouldn’t get annoyed if you said they can only drive it if they are serious as they are actually looking to buy the car. 

:lol: if they look pissed off & start whining about the how they are being treated you know you were right to brush them off.

It’s just like them ‘Cash waiting’ dickhead emailers & also those who arrive playing Billy Big Bollocks wanting immediate VIP service & shouting about being a cash customer. When you ask to see their cash they start backtracking cos they’ve got next to fuck all cash on them. Pitiful.

20 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol: if they look pissed off & start whining about the how they are being treated you know you were right to brush them off.

It’s just like them ‘Cash waiting’ dickhead emailers & also those who arrive playing Billy Big Bollocks wanting immediate VIP service & shouting about being a cash customer. When you ask to see their cash they start backtracking cos they’ve got next to fuck all cash on them. Pitiful.

" 1.5% Cash admin fee applies" shuts them up pretty quick.

• Like 1