car dealer london

Trade plates and ULEZ

Hi there,

Nice to meet you all.

I have a question, I am based within the chargeable ULEZ zone and as such any vehicle I transport to my premised and my storage would incur a £12.50 charge.

I do have trade plates, if I display these, will the charge still be payable?

Can't find any info on the web and DVLA are useless in this case.

Appreciate the help.

Interesting question

Most traders Wang the plates in the window so those cars would get fined

Dvla say plates should be outside of car but original plate must still be seen so you will probably still be fined

Have you considered moving, far easier:D

Sorry no help but what does your great mayor say, are they not the  ones to start a conversation with? 

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes the guidelines indicate you must display them on the exterior and the original plates must be displayed. Tricky one, however if there are any London based dealers with experience let me know!

Our 'great' mayor has no interest in businesses or vehicles. I am considering moving, but it's a big undertaking when your life, properties/assets are London based, unfortunately not a case of get up and go!

14 hours ago, car dealer london said:

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes the guidelines indicate you must display them on the exterior and the original plates must be displayed. Tricky one, however if there are any London based dealers with experience let me know!

Our 'great' mayor has no interest in businesses or vehicles. I am considering moving, but it's a big undertaking when your life, properties/assets are London based, unfortunately not a case of get up and go!

Plus, don’t be surprised if these punitive ‘extra taxes’ aren’t applied nationwide at some point. I’ve noticed other cities picking ‘low emission zones’ (keep this to yourself but they do actually work). Punishing end users for the mistakes of industry seems to be the way forward for government. Motorists are a cash cow, and ‘ANPR zoning’ is a good, cost effective income generator for cash strapped local councils. 

So be warned, Its not just a London thing, it’s spreading like a cancer?

Think we all know the rules about trade plates on the outside and must be displayed vertically! In reality its almost impossible with vehicles today, The IMDA have spoken to DVLA about this and they are obviously aware of the situation , they also know that most dealers put them inside the windscreens etc, all they keep saying is “the rules are clearly stated of how they should be displayed, but looking into how this can be changed”, as soon as we have an update we’ll keep you posted but we are pushing to get better things in place.

The trade plate price has gone up,how very dare them,I tried for a part refund last year and still awaiting a response

Annoyed of the North :lol: