Sign in to follow this  
Glevum

Warranty 3 months + 4 days

Got a water pump failure on a Meriva sold with a self 3 month warranty exactly s 3 months and 4 days ago - customer wants it done under the warranty saying it's only 4 days out.

My argument is if you got 6 months in prison and they kept you in for an extra 4 days you wouldn't be too happy.

Would you do it to keep the peace or stick to my guns?

We would offer a good will gesture to keep the peace - You pay parts, they pay labour or vice versa. The part that has failed isn't brand new.

Before making any offers, make sure the car has been properly diagnosed so you're sure you aren't dealing with someone just trying to get a few ££ back.

If you do decide to do that, make sure you have a document written to state that the offer you make is a full and final settlement to repair the issue (especially if they use their own garage - misdiagnosis shouldn't hit you in the pocket).

1 hour ago, D&M said:

We would offer a good will gesture to keep the peace - You pay parts, they pay labour or vice versa. The part that has failed isn't brand new.

Before making any offers, make sure the car has been properly diagnosed so you're sure you aren't dealing with someone just trying to get a few ££ back.

If you do decide to do that, make sure you have a document written to state that the offer you make is a full and final settlement to repair the issue (especially if they use their own garage - misdiagnosis shouldn't hit you in the pocket).

This

If you offered a free repair you might as well go busking, maybe a few years ago we would have done the repair foc for goodwill but it's a rare customer these days who don't try to get one over on you and then you never see them again and never get a service or mot out of them

2 hours ago, D&M said:

Couldn't have said it better 

3 hours ago, It's me said:

This

If you offered a free repair you might as well go busking, maybe a few years ago we would have done the repair foc for goodwill but it's a rare customer these days who don't try to get one over on you and then you never see them again and never get a service or mot out of them

This. The days of goodwill are (mostly) long gone. In my experience, at my end of the market most returning customers (and I do get a few) return on the basis of price.

How many of these ‘goodwill’ men show any goodwill upfront? There are certain buyers for certain cars and as for a Meriva peasant not wanting to take responsibility for their own property, well is that really a surprise? The greedy fuckers only ever put a spanner on their cars when the MOT tester condemns it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

regardless of the warranty term you provide the CRA2015 is  really locking you into 6m as part of there consumer rights unless you can prove with your PDI paperwork that the fault was not there at the point of sale.

• Like 1

A customer confirming the fault has just appeared torpedoes any claim they may have.

21 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

regardless of the warranty term you provide the CRA2015 is  really locking you into 6m as part of there consumer rights unless you can prove with your PDI paperwork that the fault was not there at the point of sale.

It is? How? 

A lot of us provide a 3 month warranty, as some have said it is really 6 months, if there's a problem in the first 30 days they have more rights,

after 30 days it changes, after 3 months it changes again. In the second three month period the seller has to prove the fault was not present at point of sale,

you could use a pdi/inspection/ MOT etc. It is a bit vague as time passes, I'll copy a summary I use to send to customers who want money back, it's a simplified version

of the CRA 2015 specifically for motor trade, it points out that its not the 'beat the dealer up rights act' and we actually have rights too. More to follow...

Hi Arthur I'd like to read your summary you send to customers. Everything helps in the fight to stop customers walking all over us !!

Edited by Glevum
misspelt

Some great answers from you knowledgeable lot. I've just had a very similar claim on the Golf which was just 3 days inside the 3 month warranty and wondered how I would have played it 3 days outside.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, Arthur thicken said:

A lot of us provide a 3 month warranty, as some have said it is really 6 months, if there's a problem in the first 30 days they have more rights,

after 30 days it changes, after 3 months it changes again. In the second three month period the seller has to prove the fault was not present at point of sale,

you could use a pdi/inspection/ MOT etc. It is a bit vague as time passes, I'll copy a summary I use to send to customers who want money back, it's a simplified version

of the CRA 2015 specifically for motor trade, it points out that its not the 'beat the dealer up rights act' and we actually have rights too. More to follow...

Why does it change after 3 months? 

As far as I am aware there is no mention of 3 months in the CRA 2015

The only mention 30 days, 6 months and 6 years.

I have heard from numerous people over years "a car dealer has to give 3 month warranty". However I am not aware of any legislation that even mentions 3 months.

FFS there's some complete and utter cobblers being spouted here. 

Also, on what is basically an open forum, calling purchasers by such a derogatory name really isn't good press. 

Time has come to enter the 1fhffk56 password. 

Gentleman, I'm out.