Sign in to follow this  
Lambchop

Taxing car with new keeper slip?

Hi new to sales and am waiting to get my first trade plates, however I’m going to be driving cars for sale to and from my pitch. I’ve taxed 1 car with the new keeper slip from the v5 that’s in previous keepers name (bought from auction) . Can I cancel the tax and new keeper ( who I sell to ) use the same slip? 

As soon as you register the car to a new keeper your tax gets cancelled. Important to note that if you sorn the car you can't tax again within five days I believe without phoning DVLA.

Thanks huw, just checking I can do it this way, when a buyer takes the car can they use the same reference number on green new keeper slip that I used to tax car themselves? And does this mean I dont have to add myself to the keepers? 

3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Thanks huw, just checking I can do it this way, when a buyer takes the car can they use the same reference number on green new keeper slip that I used to tax car themselves? And does this mean I dont have to add myself to the keepers? 

If you tax a car in trade to drive on the road , using the green slip you can use the same number again yes . that cancels the tax you put on the car automatically 

if you cancel the tax YOU put on the car you wont get any refunds of outstanding tax sent back to you as its in the trade . 

I YOU tax the car on a monthly direct debit and CANCEL the direct debit before the first payment goes out , DVLA will ban you BANK details forever from doing a direct debit  again .

Taxing the car in trade does not put another keeper on your car . 

Ok so when I put new keepers details in to cancel the tax , use the trade sale option . And make sure I pay at least 1 months road tax and all should be ok . If I understand correctly. Thanks for your help David . 

Have a car here registered to my business a n d I taxed it for the year with my business debit card

I sold it yesterday so went online and cancelled the mid and scorned it. 

After reading this thread I pooed myself because they want it monday

So I went online with the new keeper slip and taxed it for them

Computer rejected my card

Fortunatey it accepted another card

I assume this was because you can't use the same card twice? 

I was afraid they would have to wait 5 days as this happened to me a few years ago

For the record webchat was shut down at dvla Friday at least and I spent all day ringing for another car and I never got through

Dvla...... Spit...... 

Edited by It's me

Why on Earth are you taxing cars for customers?

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Why on Earth are you taxing cars for customers?

im not paying i do it as a service

remember most customers still kick up a fuss when you give them just a new keeper slip so its easier on changeover day to tax it once they turn but here ive taxed it 2 days early to give me a peaceful sleep

£30 is a lot of money to lose:D

13 hours ago, David Horgan said:

If you tax a car in trade to drive on the road , using the green slip you can use the same number again yes . that cancels the tax you put on the car automatically 

if you cancel the tax YOU put on the car you wont get any refunds of outstanding tax sent back to you as its in the trade . 

I YOU tax the car on a monthly direct debit and CANCEL the direct debit before the first payment goes out , DVLA will ban you BANK details forever from doing a direct debit  again .

Taxing the car in trade does not put another keeper on your car . 

Yeah I've had that problem a few times. Good to know that if you own the car less than fourteen days and cancel the direct debit before you won't be banned and if you cancel it less than twelve days before they won't even call for the money.