Sign in to follow this  
LSP Vehicles

Part X and Warranty

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is doing well.

Had a question regarding part x's that we sell on. Are they also subject to warranty, (even if the min 3 month term)? We provide warranty with all our vehicles, it's just that I often seen vehicles being sold stating they are a part x. Was just wondering if there was any specific reason anyone would call out it was a partx?

Thanks

How do you mean sold on as part x's ? Do you mean trade cars that are sold to motor traders and are not advertised to the general public ? in that case you dont need to provide warranty.

In any other instance, if you are a garage or motor trader selling a car to the public(even if its sold as seen/part x bargain/trade sale etc) then legally you have to stand over the car.

The only way to cover yourself is to sell the car as non runner/ spare or repairs only and insist it cant be driven from your premises and has to be transported.

22 hours ago, LSP Vehicles said:

Hi all, 

Had a question regarding part x's that we sell on. Are they also subject to warranty, (even if the min 3 month term)? We provide warranty with all our vehicles, it's just that I often seen vehicles being sold stating they are a part x. Was just wondering if there was any specific reason anyone would call out it was a partx?

Thanks

Nothing has to have a warranty on at all legally , Our choice to offer warranty , I sell warranties to earn money 

Warranty is a selling point to make sure people feel good .

PX is either a stock car we sell as normal or a trade car we don't want to sell , or scrapper 

CRA applies to anything we sell , 

Trade sales don't have warranty and the CRA doesn't apply either trade to trade . 

Sorry, by part X I mean something we have taken in part X and then sell on.

@David Horgan I was under the impression legally we have to provide a min 3 months? Or is it that legally the customer has 3 months be able come back if any issues?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, LSP Vehicles said:

Sorry, by part X I mean something we have taken in part X and then sell on.

@David Horgan I was under the impression legally we have to provide a min 3 months? Or is it that legally the customer has 3 months be able come back if any issues?

Thanks 

No legal requirement for any warranty to be given but the consumer has rights on any car bought from a dealer.

Understanding the CRA2015 is one of the many things we need to know in this job. It protects the customer but also us sellers so get your head round it.

In my opinion selling cheap px cars through your business is just a headache. 

The article below gives a good summary and should answer your questions.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

Edited by SouthernTrader
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, LSP Vehicles said:

Hi all, 

Thanks

I think you need to take some legal advice on your obligations as a motor traderB)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernTrader said:

the consumer has rights on any car bought from a dealer

Of course if the purchaser has signed an invoice confirming they are a member of the motor trade, buying for trade purposes etc. etc., with the usual caveats, then so be it.
Obviously I would never encourage an ordinary customer to enter into such a contract but if they chose to misrepresent themselves & fraudulently enter into such a contract that, as an adult of sound mind, is their choice.