Sign in to follow this  
Glevum

gearbox failed after customer changed his own clutch

We sold a 10 year old Berlingo with 55k 3 months ago and the customer just phoned stating that his gearbox wont go into 2nd or 3rd gear.

He said that after 2 weeks from when he bought it he got a mechanic to change the clutch  (he never contacted us about this) saying he didn't think a clutch was covered as its a wear and tear item.

Where do I stand as the gearbox obviously had to be removed when his mechanic changed the clutch? He may not have refilled it with the proper gearbox oil and may not have replaced it with the control linkages properly.

The customer wants us to repair it now.

Surely he should be taking this up with the mechanic, because it sounds like ‘pass the parcel’.

53 minutes ago, Glevum said:

We sold a 10 year old Berlingo with 55k 3 months ago and the customer just phoned stating that his gearbox wont go into 2nd or 3rd gear.

He said that after 2 weeks from when he bought it he got a mechanic to change the clutch  (he never contacted us about this) saying he didn't think a clutch was covered as its a wear and tear item.

Where do I stand as the gearbox obviously had to be removed when his mechanic changed the clutch? He may not have refilled it with the proper gearbox oil and may not have replaced it with the control linkages properly.

The customer wants us to repair it now.

3rd party work on the car , not for the dealer is that one , tell him to see the garage who did the clutch 

In this situation a polite but firm “Jog on” would be my response.

Keep all conversation logs email etc in case you get taken to small claims but seeing as unauthorised repairs have been carried out assuming vehicle came with warranty and terms ie no unauthorised repairs without selling dealer consent

You would be clear

But you haven't stipulated what package came with van if anything so it's possible he could say fault was at time of sale and he tried to have it rectified at his expense but failed so looking to you for compensation

So not clear cut im afraid

How much to throw him a gearbox?

On 9/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, Halfpenny said:

Very likely the linkage. Not expensive but his problem now.

Exactly this, I do loads of 'em up here, but as said above let his garage sort it out ;)

BTW, although I hate almost all Chinesium Parts with a passion, I have fitted the Hop Sing Lotus Flower linkage pieces from Flea of the Bay and never had an issue, first tried them when our local main stealer parts dept told me they were on back order for my neighbours Berlingo, Inverness Factors couldn't get them either so I tried Chinesium, that was 4 years ago and they are still good now ;)

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I tried Chinesium, that was 4 years ago and they are still good now ;)

That’s right Dave, it’s not all shite - only 95% of it. Anything more than a pleather gear lever gaitor & it’s usually spew.

I was at the MOT station recently & I witnessed the ‘quality’ of a customer’s eBay purchase of some side steps for their Q7. 10s of thousands of pounds of car & they were fitting the most horrible, flimsy, ill fitting shite that was held on with cheap bolts and tabs that looked like factory floor off-cuts. I suspect they don’t sell many Q7s in China because the manufacturer of the sidesteps clearly hadn’t ever had the opportunity to measure-up a Q7 so the steps actually fit the car :lol:. I think the garage was going to warn the customer to never stand on the steps :lol::lol:

Edited by BHM

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I think the garage was going to warn the customer to never stand on the steps 

:lol::lol::lol: Love it, and also, Chinesium Stainless will be rusty rotten first time it rains, even if he isn't living by the coast ;)

I've recently earned a small fortune outta one of our local garages, they keep fitting First Line and Intermotor Sensors, Crank, Cam, MAF, MAP, and also a VW EGR Water Pump, none of which fixed the faults, same codes came straight back, garage sent customer here saying it must be a Wiring or ECU issue :D

Who am I to argue, so I buy a decent Bosch, Siemens, etc etc part, fit that and charge it out accordingly :)

• Like 1