Time wasters !! been doing this job now for 4 years doing 30 cars a month so going okay.

Cannot get my head around time wasters. What is the quickest way to qualify the client 

without scaring them off.

Cannot shake of that pissed of feeling when i get messed around for 2 hours.

Many Thanks 

Nic

• Like 1

Unfortunately it just comes with the job. 

I had one yesterday...... that actually bought a car. You just don't know, there is no way of telling either. I just treat everyone as if they are going to buy a car and one day they may, or their family may, or friends or someone that saw the facebook post where they tagged themselves at your forecourt. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamslug said:

Unfortunately it just comes with the job. 

I had one yesterday...... that actually bought a car. You just don't know, there is no way of telling either. I just treat everyone as if they are going to buy a car and one day they may, or their family may, or friends or someone that saw the facebook post where they tagged themselves at your forecourt. 

This is exactly the attitude to take

• Like 1

I had a guy drive 2 hours to see a little arosa this morning, one owner car with 28k car has been garaged all its life when i say its spotless it is 100% out of the box spotless, anyway its £1750 the guy drives 2 hours and then going over it for another hour plus he says he is going to see another one tomorrow which is £1700 done tripple the miles and in faded yellow mine is jet black and says thanks for showing it to me and heads off !!

• Like 1

Nowt stranger than folk

Last week I had a guy come on the train from Sussex ( 2 1/2 hr train journey! ) come to see a BMW estate I have, again, lovely car, he was over the moon with it, drove it, loved it, but his 'gut' told him is wasn't the car from him. Dropped him off at the station and off he went never to be heard from again! 

I sometimes don't get how people have the time! I certainly don't have 6 hours of a day that i just 'fancy' looking at a car! 

I treat everyone as a buyer though, after 18 years working for PLC's you quickly realise everyone who's made the effort to call/email/get off their ass to come and see you is worth speaking to.

When I first started out, there was a chap walking around our Lexus showroom, sweat pants, sandles with socks, bum bag, T shirt with a picture of Alaskan wolves on it, - you get the picture. Everyone else ran a mile, reception came over and said to me, Lord Turner wants to look at a new RX300 ( £50k odd at the time )

He dealt on the car with me there and then, and subsequently bought 3 more cars from me in the following 12 months.

Never judge a book!!

:-)

2 hours ago, justina3 said:

I had a guy drive 2 hours to see a little arosa this morning, one owner car with 28k car has been garaged all its life when i say its spotless it is 100% out of the box spotless, anyway its £1750 the guy drives 2 hours and then going over it for another hour plus he says he is going to see another one tomorrow which is £1700 done tripple the miles and in faded yellow mine is jet black and says thanks for showing it to me and heads off !!

when he comes back on saturday morning at peak time 11.30 am wait till hes parked his car up and comes strolling in and quickly put the sold header card in the car

dont forget to film him too as his pants fall down

do we really need these people:lol:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mat C said:

Never judge a book!!

:-)

Unless it's a cookery book.

Or the bible.

Or a colouring book called 'Colouring Book' maybe?

Anyway, another rule of the Motor Trade:

Knobs buy cars.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Anyway, another rule of the Motor Trade:

Knobs buy cars.

And there's still plenty of them about!!

Ha ha

Yep.

So you guys just soften 'em up for me, please and do the test drive/finance quote/px valuation etc, there's good fellows.

I'm ever so grateful.

5 hours ago, justina3 said:

Probably only had a £1000 budget and was hoping to knock down the price?     Though there are plenty of tight wads out there who do buy far inferior cars just to 'save' £50......  

I mean it is a hazard of the job isn't it.  OP you need to relax about it anyway because if you are getting frustrated about it you could end up coming across as too pushy (or even worse, desperate) which will then scare of genuine buyers as well.  

Edited by bestprice4cash

I have invested in a good sign for my gates

No Beggars, Timewasters or Idiots allowed

Things have gone a bit quiet lately though...

• Like 1

Work this one out then... Fella wanted to look at a 7 seater Scenic full history nice car yesterday after hours , arranged all by text messages , so what could of been sorted  with a 2 minute phone call took half the day via text, asked if he would be leaving a deposit if he liked it, yes he would he says

So I told the Mrs I'd be home late , he turns up ... he needs a 7 or 6 seater cause he's got 4 kids, drives it likes it  but says its £600 dearer than a five seater he's seen ..yes five seater thats not a typo ,and it's got no history !

but you wanted a seven seater , where's one of the kids going mate on the roof... Yeh but it's cheaper ....

oh lord give me strength !

Edited by Jack Regan
  • Like 2

Well anyway, on that note the information you have given me on this thread has been very interesting and now I have some food for thought. 

43 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Will you buy this car today if I give you the right price? 

I can't help thinking a direct question like that posed to me would get an honest answer. 

A lot of customers aren't honest. I think a few seem to like playing the 'value my car game'. They don't know what it's worth but once you give a value they tell you they have being offered £x and £y elsewhere. Try telling them its the value of the deal they should be looking at and their heads explode!!

The stupid thing is if a customer said they weren't sure from the start you tend to spend more time trying to help them, finding out what they need and guiding them to a car that suits their purpose etc whereas the ones who want to to hold a car for a few days, then turn up and waste time don't tend to get this service.

Had one the other day who had travelled 90 mins to look at a car and we were £3500 apart on the p/x price (this was on a £10k car). They left happy saying it had being a pleasant trip out in any case!!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

Will you buy this car today if I give you the right price? 

I can't help thinking a direct question like that posed to me would get an honest answer. 

Tends to work quite well for me.  You do get the odd customer who still leaps out of the test driving having said they are ready to buy today and said they love the car best they have seen who suddenly still has more to look at but that's just the nature of the job. 

Same token when someone is wanting to test drive the car and we have already laid a deal out . We ask directly if the car drives as your expect (which is where we know, or hope, it will) are you ready to leave a deposit/ do a deal today. 

I actually dont mind helping people who are just browsing if they state their intentions and explain they are just narrowing down what car they want.  If it's quiet I don't mind getting them behind the wheel as that lack of pressure sometimes makes them return especially after they get pounced on in the main dealer environment. 

• Like 1

i dont mind anyone looking but i do object when they bring their brats who run round with no control ,they all want to go for a test drive in the rain thus filthying the car both inside and out then go off into the sunset in their vectra even though they quite clearly did say if they were happy how my car drove they were purchasing

What about punter who turn up and want a trade in valuation for their vehicle which is still at home!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cornish Guy said:

What about punter who turn up and want a trade in valuation for their vehicle which is still at home!

They don't want an actual valuation, they understand you need to see it. Of course they do. They just want a ballpark figure. Just a ballpark. That's all they want. Just to see if they are on the right page before they make the 5 mile journey. 

• Like 6

'I'm looking for a car for the daughter/son' when said offspring is nowhere in sight.

Yes sir, I'm sure 18 year old Kylie who's just passed her test but is working in {insert fast food retailer name here} today so she can't come and view is going to love that gold Micra 5 door... 

• Like 1

...and they're all called Mrs Chismer.

Alma Chismer.

As in... "Alma Chismer car worth? If I was to PX it."

"So, we're going to be helping you to buy a car today?"

"Maybe"

"What car are you looking to buy?"

"I don't know yet...errrrr...how about that black one on the corner.... Alma Chismer car worth against that?"

*sigh*

• Like 4

had every man, his dog, his wife and her lover in yesterday, total waste of time and effort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris said:

'I'm looking for a car for the daughter/son' when said offspring is nowhere in sight.

Yes sir, I'm sure 18 year old Kylie who's just passed her test but is working in {insert fast food retailer name here} today so she can't come and view is going to love that gold Micra 5 door... 

getting this loads lately and never see them again,and i wont buy gold cars anymore seeing as they always turn out to be landmarks

Try dealing with the Turkish, we sold an ml to one brother and bought the other brothers a5, two sets of bartering and I felt like I had purchased a rug at the end of it. Actually they were both really nice although I always wish I could speak there language so I know what they are saying :)