Sign in to follow this  
D&M

Hyundai ix20 Low Clutch Bite

Morning all,

We're just prepping a Hyundai ix20 1.6CRDi

The clutch bite is really low, otherwise fine - maybe a bit spongy at the top 1/3 of the pedal travel, but not sure if that is normal for these. Tried bleeding it, but there is no air in the system. Was supposed to have had a new clutch 20k, 2 years ago.

I remember this being discussed previously as a common issue, but can't find the thread now!

Is that a new clutch job, or clutch and flywheel?

Or something I've missed completely - we haven't had a Hyundai/Kia 1.6 diesel for age!

Advise and suggestions appreciated. Many thanks

Hyundai/Kia clutches are something of a weak point.  Judder is common.  If the bite point is low check if it has a hydraulic damper fitted (I think Hyundai refer to them as a 'clutch regulator'). If the go bad it causes a low pedal. 

Low biting point is very very common on every model of Hyundai. Just fit a new clutch which are very reasonably priced in LUK at eurocarparts. However also check where the clutch master cylinder meets with the clutch pedal itself, on the 2015 i30 this is made from plastic and wears, so the hole becomes elongated and therefore the shaft into the master, isn't getting full travel, If so sort this first.

Edited by Scooby who
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Hyundai/Kia clutches are something of a weak point.  Judder is common.  If the bite point is low check if it has a hydraulic damper fitted (I think Hyundai refer to them as a 'clutch regulator'). If the go bad it causes a low pedal. 

Thanks for the tip - Now you've said that I recall the damper being mentioned as a common failure point previously on the forum.

7 hours ago, Scooby who said:

Low biting point is very very common on every model of Hyundai. Just fit a new clutch which are very reasonably priced in LUK at eurocarparts. However also check where the clutch master cylinder meets with the clutch pedal itself, on the 2015 i30 this is made from plastic and wears, so the hole becomes elongated and therefore the shaft into the master, isn't getting full travel, If so sort this first.

Thanks for the video - I checked that out and that was indeed the issue, oval shaped hole causing the spongy feel at the top of the pedal travel and has raised the bite point so the car is much better.

All repaired now!