Sign in to follow this  
MJG50

Silicon Spray to cure a creaking windscreen

Not exactly the biggest problem I've ever had with a car but I've got a Jaguar XF and when I'm a passenger I can hear a creak coming from the passenger's side of the windscreen. It's not noticeable when driving it. I've heard that using a silicon spray underneath the windscreen rubbers can help. Has anyone ever tried this with any success and if so, which brand of silicon spray did they use?

I've stopped buying an JLR product with a pan roof as everyone I've come across has had an awful lot of creaking that copious amounts of silicon spray, grease and Vaseline didn't cure (Insert joke about buying copious amounts of Vaseline! :D

cant imagine thats the cause to be honest

usually a creak is the door stay mechanism in most cars and a tightening of the bolts creates a cure in the a post

5 hours ago, MJG50 said:

Not exactly the biggest problem I've ever had with a car but I've got a Jaguar XF and when I'm a passenger I can hear a creak coming from the passenger's side of the windscreen. It's not noticeable when driving it. I've heard that using a silicon spray underneath the windscreen rubbers can help. Has anyone ever tried this with any success and if so, which brand of silicon spray did they use?

I've stopped buying an JLR product with a pan roof as everyone I've come across has had an awful lot of creaking that copious amounts of silicon spray, grease and Vaseline didn't cure (Insert joke about buying copious amounts of Vaseline! :D

The windscreen is bonded into the bodyshell and is part of the car's structure. There should be no movement of the screen unless the bonding has failed (in which case you would have water leaks, wind noise etc).

I suspect your creaking is coming from the door moving in its aperture as the bodyshell flexes.. Check the door alignment etc.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, I'll take another trip out in it as a passenger to check again. It did feel as though it was coming from the windscreen but it is highly unlikely the windscreen is moving. There isn't any wind noise or leaks and the car drives 100% fine and is very smooth over speed bumps.

I have had the odd car with a creaking side window and I found that lowering the window slightly helped greatly but I'm pretty sure it's not coming from a side window on this one. I'll try to get the door checked out.

Edited by MJG50

18 hours ago, MJG50 said:

Thanks for the replies, I'll take another trip out in it as a passenger to check again. It did feel as though it was coming from the windscreen but it is highly unlikely the windscreen is moving. There isn't any wind noise or leaks and the car drives 100% fine and is very smooth over speed bumps.

I have had the odd car with a creaking side window and I found that lowering the window slightly helped greatly but I'm pretty sure it's not coming from a side window on this one. I'll try to get the door checked out.

drastic but often as the passenger, open the door as you are  driven will often confirm its the check causing the problem

Did you check the bonnet hinges? oil them as they can be heard inside the car if they are making any noise