Sign in to follow this  
Lambchop

Auction recommendations?

Hi based in north west, any recommendations on where I should go for cars with bodywork damage that are not listed ? 

Thanks for reply’s, always bought  from copart online, and repaired cat n cars. Never really had a look round many other auctions . And been closed due to COVID. Just had a spray booth built and was looking to get more into the selling cars as I’ve always preped repaired for other people. 

I think every other person I’ve met in associated trades (mechanics, MOT testers, bodywork men etc.) who’ve had a go at selling soon declare they won’t sell another car & say something along the lines of “Fuck me, there’s something wrong with the public, they’re as fussy as fuck” :lol:

Oh I’m used to dealing with the public , had a valeting / car wash business for years , so I’ve had these same problems but people complaining bout valets I’ve made about a fiver from. And have started painting for dealers the last few years. So basically was hoping to start buying non listed but with enough bodywork issues to put off a lot of dealers . So basically any auction? 

You seem to be looking for an auction dealing with a 'grey area' between salvage and straight clean cars. I don't think such a thing exists. Vehicles with scuffs and dings will be in the regular auctions.  My impression is that prices for N/S salvage and vehicles with unrecorded minor damage are unrealistically high at the moment - no doubt fuelled by a small army of DIY bodgers who've been watching the various YouTube channels. More than 20 years ago I had a Chief EZ Liner, spray booth etc and repaired and sold some salvage but even then, when it was cheaper and simpler, I couldn't make it worthwhile unless I cut a lot of corners (which I didn't want to do).

I was thinking that, the cars I’ve been fixing up hav’nt been making a incredible amount as I’ve been selling and advertising at cat n prices and doing paintwork ect myself . If I’d payed someone else to paintwork there would be next to no profits. To be honest as long as the cars pay me for the work on them I’m quite happy for the moment, so would Mannheim haydock be a good place for £5000 and under cars ? Would be interested is seeing the difference in price between the cat n and non listed. 

• Like 1

Where in the North West are you pal? Ellesmere port has the odd one going through, tread carefully there tho.. Wilsons in Queensferry also have the odd one. 

Its a broad generalisation but the days of chancing upon a Copart car which has easy-to-repair body damage (and a handful of other, normal issues) at a bargain price is pretty much over, there's so many hobbyists at it there will always be one (or more) who won't assess the car properly, underestimate the repair cost then push its price up to uneconomic pretty quick. Let them try it and learn their lessons along the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Its a broad generalisation but the days of chancing upon a Copart car which has easy-to-repair body damage (and a handful of other, normal issues) at a bargain price is pretty much over, there's so many hobbyists at it there will always be one (or more) who won't assess the car properly, underestimate the repair cost then push its price up to uneconomic pretty quick. Let them try it and learn their lessons along the way.

YouTube has a lot to answer for in this respect. Maybe it’s just me, or my area, but FB marketplace is crammed full of cars on the hit list. Usually sold by a guy using his girlfriends account? These are cars that have been bought to repair and sell on. But they sell because it’s all about the price. Nothing else matters until things go wrong. These guys don’t use autotrader for some reason? 

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Let them try it and learn their lessons along the way.

:lol: 

How the fuck anyone repair cars properly at Copart money is beyond me. 

22 hours ago, BHM said:

Once you factor in the revenue stream from the YouTube channel, it starts making sense. 

It would be easy to say that area of the industry has taken a dive but really its about more/better information (ie the places and details of Cat C/D/S/N cars for sale) which has meant its no longer a "secret squirrel club" of knowing someone who knows someone who gets those type of cars. Personally for me....I have no appetite for risk. But I respect those who like this type of challenge. 

I agree though, for a pro business to do this, once you exclude the cars which get bid up to unprofitable level, there's pretty much nothing left any more.

Why doesnt the op just buy grade 5 stuff at any of the big players loads of it around, and so i am told far better prices than copart as the weekend warrior stays clear of auctions, again this is third hand have no experience in this market.

I cant get my painter to do a simple bumper blow in at a decent time frame so would be of no use to me, 

• Like 1

Thanks justina gonna try the grade 4 5’s from bca. Just out of interest how much are you paying for a bumper blow in ? 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Thanks justina gonna try the grade 4 5’s from bca. Just out of interest how much are you paying for a bumper blow in ? 

Depends on the colour some of these crazy baby blue's and beige 500's for example you cant just flick around you have to do half a bumper, so easy colour £60-80 and pain in the backside £100 but the job is very good i can find cheaper but cant be dealing with having to clean the wheels with overspray ect

On 8/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, BHM said:

They have access to erm, hoq can we say, cheaper parts?

Don't most stolen cars end up as parts mules or worse?