Recommended Posts

Hi looking to start selling warranty’s, has anyone ever had trouble with the firms paying out because the car hasn’t had correct service? Does an oil change and new oil filter suffice ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask the warranty provider(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Hi looking to start selling warranty’s, has anyone ever had trouble with the firms paying out because the car hasn’t had correct service? Does an oil change and new oil filter suffice ? 

I think you'll find most people have had trouble with warranty companies paying out at some time or other... full stop!   Oil & filter is not a service.  Cars should be properly mechanically prepped - that means any due/overdue fluids and filters, brake inspection and S/R as necessary and any due/overdue major items such as cambelt etc. As a rule of thumb anything falling due within 6 months should be done and replace any tyres below 3mm.  Of course if you are in the banger market then ignore much of the above...

If you are reasonably well established then consider self funding - https://www.warrantyadmin.co.uk/crystal-clear-warranty.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply, just starting out and have 4 cars up at the pitch , only selling under £5000 at the moment just trying to get my feet under the table. Finding customers are really hesitant to buy from a smaller site and will pay a lot more for a car with warranty. Don’t want to be offering to fix things for them as I’m sure they’ll be ringing up every time they get a flat tire or their washer fluid needs topping up. Had quotes from warrantywise which seem reasonable but was wondering if they’re actually any good or if I’m gonna have to pay for any issues anyway.

Edited by Lambchop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have four cars and find it difficult to gain consumer confidence buying from a smaller site, selling warranties may also be a difficult call. Lawdata and Lawjistics offer printed warranty books at reasonable cost  with detailed terms and conditions so you can self warrant your vehicles with protection for the consumer, you and your business. Preparation is key however, a proper full service and fresh mot is a good starting point, cars unfortunately have a habit of throwing us the odd curved ball, but that's the motor trade.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Thanks for the reply, just starting out and have 4 cars up at the pitch , only selling under £5000 at the moment just trying to get my feet under the table. Finding customers are really hesitant to buy from a smaller site and will pay a lot more for a car with warranty. Don’t want to be offering to fix things for them as I’m sure they’ll be ringing up every time they get a flat tire or their washer fluid needs topping up. Had quotes from warrantywise which seem reasonable but was wondering if they’re actually any good or if I’m gonna have to pay for any issues anyway.

I use WMS Group, not bad, but as with all companies, a long list of exclusions. TBF they dont obsess about service history, I count an oil and filter change as a service and its never stopped a claim on that basis. But prep well in the first place. they all work off a burn rate, if you're claiming more than you're paying in, they are going to put your costs up. But it can be good for your cash flow at set up time, and it means its not you saying no to a customer, its someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt , ye good point prob worth paying for a warranty just to push through the sale , give them someone else to ring before me complaining .And if I have to pay for the repairs it’s hard luck . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, Lambchop said:

Thanks Matt , ye good point prob worth paying for a warranty just to push through the sale , give them someone else to ring before me complaining .And if I have to pay for the repairs it’s hard luck . 

Three rules to selling cars 

mechanical PREP 

SERVICE the entire car to an inch of its life 

Body PREP inc Inside . 

Warranty is not stopping you selling cars , 

Also think of warranty this way .

YOU NEED TO SELL it , OK not GIVE IT AWAY as 3 sales a month with free warranty = £140 x3 = £420 x 12 Months = £5,040 a year down the drain .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Three rules to selling cars 

mechanical PREP 

SERVICE the entire car to an inch of its life 

Body PREP inc Inside . 

Warranty is not stopping you selling cars , 

Also think of warranty this way .

YOU NEED TO SELL it , OK not GIVE IT AWAY as 3 sales a month with free warranty = £140 x3 = £420 x 12 Months = £5,040 a year down the drain .

 

100% right David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now