Sign in to follow this  
TM1989

Quite or just me?

Things are going slow for us here in north west Manchester. How’s everyone else doing? 

I am not dealing nowadays and only want a couple of days of dent work a week, but there appears to be a bit of a slow down in calls from dealers but increased from private. My other business Delta Kits ( windscreen repair equipment supplies) seems to be fairing up well with guys in the trade wanting to upsell the service, although sales into Europe have stalled 

Looking at how we're doing and other dealers locally it seems there is still good demand for 1-4 year old with sensible miles SUV etc.  Also we had an MX5 and a GT86 that both went very quickly.  City/first cars  struggling now - I gather driving tests are massively backlogged which is choking off new-driver demand in this segment. We are mostly £4k and up, so I've not really researched what's going on with cheaper cars. 

Thanks for your reply guys. We stock mostly 4x4’s, small cars and medium sized cars. This time last year we were smashing it but this round we’re so quite it’s unbelievable. Currently got 20x decent cars in stock which are not selling. We’re the cheapest on the autotrader so god knows what’s going on! 

14 hours ago, TM1989 said:

Thanks for your reply guys. We stock mostly 4x4’s, small cars and medium sized cars. This time last year we were smashing it but this round we’re so quite it’s unbelievable. Currently got 20x decent cars in stock which are not selling. We’re the cheapest on the autotrader so god knows what’s going on! 

It is just Possible that we currently have a sport fest going on Wimbledon, football etcetera. Therefore the publics minds may be elsewhere right now, so many people also away taking the breaks they would have normally have in April/May. For now powder dry keep is our policy, by the by cheapest may not be best strategy in our opinion.   

Edited by TRADE SURVIVOR
typo

People buy on more than price alone, being cheapest is not often a good sign when I am buying.

3 hours ago, Screenman said:

People buy on more than price alone, being cheapest is not often a good sign when I am buying.

Chatting with a guy from Autotrader yesterday , he said the high price marker cars are getting the most actual interest and sales . 

Low pricing is not how i see things . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TM1989 said:

Dont just go cheap. Low price markers on AT can create suspicion amongst buyers. Go with great price, amend the ads, pictures in sunshine etc. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

It is just Possible that we currently have a sport fest going on Wimbledon, football etcetera. Therefore the publics minds may be elsewhere right now, so many people also away taking the breaks they would have normally have in April/May. For now powder dry keep is our policy, by the by cheapest may not be best strategy in our opinion.   

I would agree with this and with no quarantine for people double jammed, a lot of people with be flying off on holiday.

21 hours ago, chobits32 said:

Absolutely agree, the work really slowed down

In the beauty therapy area that is?:D 

Edited by Frank Cannon

I noticed that the local car supermarket is cutting the legs off of a lot of stock and, my dentman is quiet again. Odd times still and yet to come. 

We all know this game is peaks and troughs so, onwards and upwards, fight the good fight. 

Mate of mine who does the banger market under 2k is also slow, same with my van mate, his sales seemed to have fallen off of a cliff.

....I've given up working it out, some are flat out whilst, some are flat as f*uck, ffs it boils my brain. 

2 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Mate of mine who does the banger market under 2k is also slow

That market is absolutely fucked & has been for months - the lads can barely give the stuff away & if you’ve tried selling a cheap p/x you’ll see the bottom-rung punters nowadays are absolutely pitiful. I’ve got three bangers to advertise & I can’t bring myself to advertise them.

The management at one auction house are openly telling anyone who’ll listen they can’t shift this dross so they will submit any bid & work for next to nowt.

I’m generally in the market sector above 2K (most of mine are 2.5-5K) & it’s absolutely flat out. I can sell everything (except for one heap of French shit no-one wants) that I can prep and as such I constantly only have a few cars advertised - as soon as something is advertised it sells fast so I always look like a business going down the pan with 3 or 4 cars advertised. 

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

That market is absolutely fucked & has been for months - the lads can barely give the stuff away & if you’ve tried selling a cheap p/x you’ll see the bottom-rung punters nowadays are absolutely pitiful. I’ve got three bangers to advertise & I can’t bring myself to advertise them.

The management at one auction house are openly telling anyone who’ll listen they can’t shift this dross so they will submit any bid & work for next to nowt.

I’m generally in the market sector above 2K (most of mine are 2.5-5K) & it’s absolutely flat out. I can sell everything (except for one heap of French shit no-one wants) that I can prep and as such I constantly only have a few cars advertised - as soon as something is advertised it sells fast so I always look like a business going down the pan with 3 or 4 cars advertised. 

You can’t fail to notice that, at least in my area, the FB marketplace is awash with ‘cheap’ copart rebuild projects from guys using their girlfriends accounts living in caravans? 

Quite a few customers who come my way have a tale to tell about viewing cars they’ve seen on FB. By the time they get to me these customers are usual VERY easy to deal with.

Mind you have you seen the standard of sub £5K cars nowadays? A quick look on any advertising site will show filthy cars with stained seats :(. There’s one garage near me, plenty of cars, they have a £6K motor with a dented wing. It’s no wonder they have plenty of cars advertised with motors like that, fuck me, I’ve sold £999 cars that are tidier,

• Like 1

Broken wheel trims, dented wings, filthy interiors, broken keys held together with masking tape, missing badges and decals, missing ripped/holed floormats it's all first form stuff but, so regularly seen.

Very odd to my mind, if they can't get the basics right, always makes me think are the brakes maxed out, rightly or wrongly;)

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

Very odd to my mind, if they can't get the basics right, always makes me think are the brakes maxed out, rightly or wrongly;)

Absolutely. If they can’t be arsed to clean it they certainly won’t of been arsed to put it on the lift. 

Mind you, I guess there’s no right or wrong way to sell cars because even those sellers sell their cars. 

Edited by BHM

15 hours ago, BHM said:

Quite a few customers who come my way have a tale to tell about viewing cars they’ve seen on FB. By the time they get to me these customers are usual VERY easy to deal with.

Mind you have you seen the standard of sub £5K cars nowadays? A quick look on any advertising site will show filthy cars with stained seats :(. There’s one garage near me, plenty of cars, they have a £6K motor with a dented wing. It’s no wonder they have plenty of cars advertised with motors like that, fuck me, I’ve sold £999 cars that are tidier,

I was following some mk7 fiestas on BCA weeks ago. One had a rusty drivers door. I noticed it sold and then tipped up on autotrader, at a dealership. Still had the rusty doors? WTAF?