Sign in to follow this  
DCS01

Volvo issue heads up

Morning.  This may not apply to anyone but I thought sharing is caring and all that.

I have just had a massive issue with an XC60 I sold back in December.  Came back to me in Jan sloshing around with water, turns out they are well known for ingress at the top of the screen.   End of March just before the warranty up boot lock has gone and then the fan started and wouldn’t stop.   I’m now looking at a 1-2k Bill to fix at Volvo because apparently someone thought it would be wise to put the cem in the footwell.

long story but I have been told this is common in xc60 and 90 so if anyone buys one might be worth a) replacing the screen rubber (for the sake of £80) and b) checking if the CEM has any previous damage and is staring to go. 

Old story I’m afraid. I’ve never had an XC90 leak but XC60s must use the same windscreen adhesive as Ford (being the Ford years it makes sense), stand beside the A-post & a gentle push in the top corner from below will show most screens move.

The remedy is to either remove & reglue the screen (risking a broken screen) or simply slice out the top gasket & use windscreen glue along the top gap & down the sides up against the decorative trim.

The big hassle is removing the interior - you need to remove all seats, the three carpet pieces, suck out the water but you’ll never dry out the foam so just rip it off the carpet back & replace with loads of house carpet underlay or old towels (the height of professionalism). Replace carpets after drying out on the Mrs’s radiator.

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME PROCEDURE AS FOR FORD KUGAS, although they also piss in on the body seams under the roof rails & ESPECIALLY those body seams you can see when the boot is open.

ALSO, for Ford Focuses see the italicised writing in the paragraph above.

If I sound like an old hand at this it’s because I am - through bitter experience. 

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s common on all Volvos if they’re still on the factory screen. I’ve had V50’s, v70’s and c30’s with the same issue

Edited by Lakeside