Sign in to follow this  
TRADE SURVIVOR

Which way do you swing?

Marshalls have to their credit are repaying all of the support afforded to the company by the government during the pandemic Vertu have a different view. Interested to hear what are we thinking folks?

Last time I mentioned the potential 100% penalties for those who have profited during the pandemic having received government help and are not intending to repay it,it did not go down well.I am not sure Vertu can afford to repay it,they have massive liabilities.

Well, funny you should mention this. 

I've been realised this last week, just how many larger companies have been kicking the arse out of this, I think unless I don't understand how it works?

......I know, or have met more than a few staff whereby staff are on furlough but, working full time, with company making up the shortfall....or have I missed something, which is entirely possible?

2 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Well, funny you should mention this. 

I've been realised this last week, just how many larger companies have been kicking the arse out of this, I think unless I don't understand how it works?

......I know, or have met more than a few staff whereby staff are on furlough but, working full time, with company making up the shortfall....or have I missed something, which is entirely possible?

Also for the smaller business guys,I was reading something recently wherebye Bounce Back Loans were refered to as Bouncing Bombs.Not certain but something about BBL’s restricting businesses from taking out further funding during the duration of the loan unless you settle or face a penalty.Alternatively Tottenham Hotspur got an £175m emergency loan,maybe that’s why they might have to sell Harry Kane.

read about debenhams if you really want to see how to asset strip

it isnt in the daily mirror mind

All credit to those that repay it in my opinion, wonder though how many redundancies will happen after furlough ends in September, think that's where some of the larger boys will save money realising they don't need quite as many expensive staff in their gin palaces 

A number of large employers are already working their staff harder than before - a visit to almost any supermarket will see staff working like dogs.

I also suspect there’ll be a number of companies who realise that up to a third of their staff are deadwood & will act accordingly once the furlough cheques stop.

• Like 1

I believe it’s a very clever move, especially if your listed on the stock market and you afford to do so.

Marshall’s Daksh Gupta is a switched on character, and by reporting the paying back of £4m support and the senior management team turning down their annual bonuses, investor sentiment will continue to improve in Marshall’s and lead to further increases in its share price, which is currently at its highest level for over two years. Daksh alone own over 1.45 million shares  in Marshall’s so has done very well from all this news! 

Edited by Bmx Bandits

8 hours ago, It's me said:

read about debenhams if you really want to see how to asset strip

it isnt in the daily mirror mind

I have tried to find the article but can’t locate it.  Pizza Express is a prime example, in essence not a failing business but been brought time and time again by investment companies using borrowed money to buy it and then offloading the problem.

11 hours ago, DCS01 said:

I have tried to find the article but can’t locate it.  Pizza Express is a prime example, in essence not a failing business but been brought time and time again by investment companies using borrowed money to buy it and then offloading the problem.

What about Pendragon.They bought Buist Bramall which was a successful long established business then leveraged the freeholds by either selling them or selling them and leasing them back which created a profit.They sacked all the best people and replaced them with cheaper ones and then repeated the process by buying Vardy’s.Now they appear to have a lot of leased empty pitches which they are trying to dispose of which must be costing them a fortune.Do you remember when Phillip Green came close to buying M&S.

On 5/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, RH Trading said:

All credit to those that repay it in my opinion, wonder though how many redundancies will happen after furlough ends in September, think that's where some of the larger boys will save money realising they don't need quite as many expensive staff in their gin palaces 

Absolutely right. Sadly when furlough ends for many people that may be the case. We as businesses may also find that the recovery in the short to medium term may be more challenging than the pandemic.