Rory RSC

Since reopening to public

These last few months are on fire. Can't buy, prep and sell quick enough.  How long is this going to last?

Trying our best to run to appointment only. Much easier to manage and offer a decent experience Vs people just turning up unannounced. I think we have dealt a total of 2 just turn ups out of maybe 25/30 but much higher conversion with the appointed customers, particularly the ones who have left a deposit.

How is everyone finding things?   

We’ve been quieter since things have started going back to normal than we was doing click and collect.

I’ve been 4 times into 3 Vauxhall dealerships buying p/xs since Lockdown ended & even the usually bullshitting salesmen had to admit they’ve been quiet. It’s a bit worrying tbh. Mind you, I’m struggling to think of a reason why you’d visit a Vx dealership looking for a new car.

For the long established pitches,the loyal repeat punters are the backbone of the business and they are back after being missing for a long time.These punters who generally buy bread and butter stock don’t like click and collect.They want to come in and have some banter,try it out after usually saying they are buying it.They are straight forward and tend to rely on you and you can get their swappers in ‘right’.Living in the past,I still think that the local punters are the best.

Been busy and working by appointments definitely suits us if for no other reason than trying to whittle down test pilots and tyre kickers.

Had the showroom doors open for 15 mins Saturday and 3 lots of people strolled in - none looking to ‘buy’.

Biggest problem is replacing stock we have half what we normally do, prices unbelievable and although we are having to buy 1 or 2 very dear cars we are being cautious about buying 20 odd.

Much the same as you Rory, we have been absolutely smashing the numbers, with last month being a record one for us.

Things are still moving along really nicely this month but your spot on wondering how long things can carry on like they have, as it does very much feel like a bubble. 

Having said that, I think it will all come down to what people can spend their money on and as TUI holiday booking are down 69% compared to the summer of 2019 and there are some horrendous lead times from certain car manufacturers and models, with a mate of mine being quoted 9 months wait for a Audi Q3, sure as eggs is eggs the population will spend their money elsewhere especially with many feeling they deserve to as they survived what was a terrifyingly and pretty unforgettable year.

Which I feel leaves us in a good position with demand having the ability to balance/outstrip supply. So as long as the economy doesn’t overheat, people don’t start loosing their jobs in large numbers and we can control this shocking virus, we have the potential to sell good numbers of cars and more importantly make good margin. 

I'm hearing a whisper from three used commercial dealers that the used van market is getting a tad sticky although new is still strong......place a custom order for a new Trafic expect delivery next March due to parts shortages. :ph34r:

.....only so many 'Herpes' drivers out there I guess. 

Camping gear is where the smart money is and I'm not talking leather chaps, eyeliner and rouge :D

PS strictly appointments here still in an effort to keep the shite from the door. 

Edited by Frank Cannon
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Camping gear is where the smart money is and I'm not talking leather chaps, eyeliner and rouge :D

:lol::lol: 

3 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

I'm hearing a whisper from three used commercial dealers that the used van market is getting a tad sticky although new is still strong......place a custom order for a new Trafic expect delivery next March due to parts shortages. :ph34r:

.....only so many 'Herpes' drivers out there I guess. 

PS strictly appointments here still in an effort to keep the shite from the door. 

I bet the camper van conversion guy who comes on here would like his vans back to rent them out.

13 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I bet the camper van conversion guy who comes on here would like his vans back to rent them out.

B)

On 5/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, Rory RSC said:

These last few months are on fire. Can't buy, prep and sell quick enough.  How long is this going to last?

Trying our best to run to appointment only. Much easier to manage and offer a decent experience Vs people just turning up unannounced. I think we have dealt a total of 2 just turn ups out of maybe 25/30 but much higher conversion with the appointed customers, particularly the ones who have left a deposit.

How is everyone finding things?   

Think some folks are browsing around since we opened , looking is something they haven't done for a while , been careful to separate the test pilots from buyers .

Deposit and a set agreed deal deal before driving the car is the way to go , its one thing the Covid restrictions taught us . 

Those who have 4 more to look at today can jog along and look at the others , seems to make the others disappear rather quick when they have that choice to make . 

Weve had a few who think that its discount city , Post Restrictions I bet you need to sell cars don't you , How long have you had this in stock types , They learned a very harsh lesson when I wont budge on price , 

But all round its very buoyant and lively really 

Similar to David steady away and ignoring the comics, putting prices up virtually between cups of tea. Discount is not a word we recognise. only regret is not filling a field full of stock when prices were on the deck, hey ho B)

2 hours ago, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

Similar to David steady away and ignoring the comics, putting prices up virtually between cups of tea. Discount is not a word we recognise. only regret is not filling a field full of stock when prices were on the deck, hey ho B)

Hi TS,great posts.We need more pros on here.Keep posting please.

Hi TV, will see what I can do. May upset a few folks as I can be a contentious old chap who is not concerned about chucking the odd grenade now and again to stimulate a debate :)

8 hours ago, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

Hi TV, will see what I can do. May upset a few folks as I can be a contentious old chap who is not concerned about chucking the odd grenade now and again to stimulate a debate :)

Excellent,you need to get fast tracked into the Private Lounge.

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

Excellent,you need to get fast tracked into the Private Lounge.

I have been a member of the forum for some years however, having taken a break from posting for some time it seems I'm relegated to newbie status, no worries see you in the lounge soon TV  

On 5/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, TRADE SURVIVOR said:

I have been a member of the forum for some years however, having taken a break from posting for some time it seems I'm relegated to newbie status, no worries see you in the lounge soon TV  

What was your previous name?

Couple insisted on emailing me about a Golf GTI last Friday , £16,995 Nice thing full spec, Fully Serviced .

Whats the price we would go to for cash . 16995 

Could we pay actual cash , No 

Would you accept a px , What have you got ?

SEAT  "ok " can i have the reg  number ,  She said no GDPR  :rolleyes:

I cant value it without the reg . 

Oh well if you promise not to pass it on to anyone :rolleyes:

She probably hasnt noticed its on both ends of her car for the world to see . :lol:

car comes in as an Ibiza 110,890 miles , 05 plate , battered . no service , two weeks MOT . 

£100 I say . 

delay mmmmmmmmmm dont like £100 I thinks :lol:

can you get to £500 she asks this morning . 

NO its going to the Scrap yard , 

Oh . whats the best price then , " £100 " its not fixable I say .

DELAY till now .

Ok we will take £100 if you take £16,795 for the GTI 

Lady its sold this afternoon :lol:

No answer yet :rolleyes:

Any public reading this , the MORAL is RING US , email is too slow in this sales environment. YOU will MISS the CAR  YOU are Looking at  

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Couple insisted on emailing me about a Golf GTI last Friday , £16,995 Nice thing full spec, Fully Serviced .

Whats the price we would go to for cash . 16995 

Could we pay actual cash , No 

Would you accept a px , What have you got ?

SEAT  "ok " can i have the reg  number ,  She said no GDPR  :rolleyes:

I cant value it without the reg . 

Oh well if you promise not to pass it on to anyone :rolleyes:

She probably hasnt noticed its on both ends of her car for the world to see . :lol:

car comes in as an Ibiza 110,890 miles , 05 plate , battered . no service , two weeks MOT . 

£100 I say . 

delay mmmmmmmmmm dont like £100 I thinks :lol:

can you get to £500 she asks this morning . 

NO its going to the Scrap yard , 

Oh . whats the best price then , " £100 " its not fixable I say .

DELAY till now .

Ok we will take £100 if you take £16,795 for the GTI 

Lady its sold this afternoon :lol:

No answer yet :rolleyes:

Any public reading this , the MORAL is RING US , email is too slow in this sales environment. YOU will MISS the CAR  YOU are Looking at  

We do have a similar model due in madam although it will be £17995 and unfortunately your Seat will still only be worth £100. So many people think there are plenty of nice cars with good spec out there in this climate and dealers are desperate. Wrong! There is a new car supply hiatus which may last for quite some time, therefore good quality used cars are in short supply. Seeing disappointed customers on a daily basis as they did not believe that we had other interested parties on the car they were interested in.   

10 hours ago, David Horgan said:

As always, customers call, messers mail.

I’m not saying a customer may not of initially emailed but a SERIOUS buyer picks up the phone sharpish. Two cars nailed by yesterday lunchtime both to people able to use a telephone. The email buffoons, circling like vultures, are still umming & arrring, pondering their next move or making pitiful attempts of haggling by email. Some of these digital ditherers (a.k.a. fucking morons) even get shirty when they’re informed the car has sold - I had one the other week on a Smart telling me I shouldn’t be allowed to sell cars “because we’d agreed a deal” (Eh?), he’s already taken out insurance & he is reporting me to Trading Standards. Mental.

Edited by BHM
  • Thanks 1

Having to work a lot harder to do the deals with some of these walk in customers. 

Anybody else finding customers genuinely think we are lying when we tell them there is a huge shortage in supply?.   Find myself explaining that I cant replace the stock unless I pay nearly retail blah blah, so no, im not discounting the screen price. I remind them of the current situation with house prices (especially here in Cornwall) and say car prices are doing the same.  

Usually followed by the moron asking, "so what would you take for it?".