Sign in to follow this  
DCS01

Service due, opinions please

2 hours ago, BHM said:

It’s funny how some punters (especially Vaggots) think they can be fussy over a main dealer history yet you know for a fact the greedy fuckers won’t go anywhere near a franchise when it’s coming out of their wallet.

VW 20k intervals still a thing ?! :lol:

3 hours ago, BHM said:

It’s funny how some punters (especially Vaggots) think they can be fussy over a main dealer history yet you know for a fact the greedy fuckers won’t go anywhere near a franchise when it’s coming out of their wallet.

Off topic.Unless it is on over age stock,slow punters,’doubting Thomas’s ‘,that expect extras or money off,especially if it is on older stuff,don’t deal with them.It takes 2 minutes to qualify a punter either on the pitch or on the phone.When I used to buy from main dealers,they often had a hard boiled sales guy who sold the most who could spot proper punters by their body language alone before homing in on them.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, trade vet said:

Off topic.Unless it is on over age stock,slow punters,’doubting Thomas’s ‘,that expect extras or money off,especially if it is on older stuff,don’t deal with them.It takes 2 minutes to qualify a punter either on the pitch or on the phone.When I used to buy from main dealers,they often had a hard boiled sales guy who sold the most who could spot proper punters by their body language alone before homing in on them.

I often joke with my salesmen that I will pay them a commission for not selling certain prospective customers a car.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, trade vet said:

spot proper punters by their body language alone before homing in on them.

I can believe it. When punters visit I can often tell if a tyrekicker has slipped through the net just from the 30mtr walk from the car park to my viewing area.

BUYERS are itching to get to see the ‘new’ car, they leap out of their car full of vim & vigour, and they lead the charge to the viewing area. If I’ve greeted them at their car they continue walking towards the new car - their attention is fully focused on the prospective new car.

If my phone screening has let me down and a tyrekicker arrives, they sit in their car for 30-60 seconds arranging their gamplan or fucking about on a mobile phone, eventually they get out, shuffle towards the new car then often circle it like a vulture over the carcass of a dead wildebeest. Often the actions & body language of a tyrekicker are very different to that of a buyer.

Edited by BHM

20 minutes ago, BHM said:

I can believe it. When punters visit I can often tell if a tyrekicker has slipped through the net just from the 30mtr walk from the car park to my viewing area.

BUYERS are itching to get to see the ‘new’ car, they leap out of their car full of vim & vigour, and they lead the charge to the viewing area. If I’ve greeted them at their car they continue walking towards the new car - their attention is fully focused on the prospective new car.

If my phone screening has let me down and a tyrekicker arrives, they sit in their car for 30-60 seconds arranging their gamplan or fucking about on a mobile phone, eventually they get out, shuffle towards the new car then often circle it like a vulture over the carcass of a dead wildebeest. Often the actions & body language of a tyrekicker are very different to that of a buyer.

Agree strongly with this.  Questions are totally different aswell with buyers / tyre kickers. I don't think we have ever sold many to people whos first question is can I drive it for example.

5 hours ago, BHM said:

Spot on, buyers should have a hard on when they turn up, not fiddling around trying to find it. 

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

Spot on, buyers should have a hard on when they turn up, not fiddling around trying to find it. 

Your customer demographic is definitely a bit different to mine...

3 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Your customer demographic is definitely a bit different to mine...

I prefer unique......

..... to be honest all I've had this last week has been cocks turning up:D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

:lol::lol:

On 5/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, DCS01 said:

Afternoon,  hope you are all doing well.

Still trying to find my feet with a few bits.   

I am still not 100% sure of when to service cars before delivery.   Most of my stock is up to 10 years max 100k miles.   I am used to JLR/Audi standards of minimum 3 months/3k miles until service.  

For example I have an 11 plate Ibiza with 80k miles someone viewing tomorrow. Service due 30th July, my gut feeling is to get it done but wanted some opinions.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have not read the thread of replies to your question therefore I may be repeating what other members have said. Say this was you buying the car for you to transport your family around safely? It should be serviced and MOT tested as a duty of care to the customer, regardless this an older car it should be safe and serviceable to the best of our knowledge. Exceed the customers expectations  within reasonable parameters and that customer could become a customer for life.      

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  My gut instinct has been confirmed.  Every car I have has a workshop inspection and MOT just before delivery.

My personal feelings would be I would not want a car due for a service in the next couple of months.  But just wanted to make sure that the level of car I was dealing with my expectations were wrong. 

To be honest I know I’m on the right track considering the comments I have been getting about how my cars have been prepped compared to other cars out there and the take it or leave it attitude of some traders!

On 5/14/2021 at 11:47 PM, DCS01 said:

he take it or leave it attitude of some traders!

had an old lady in about a month back now , selling a 4x4 Octavia 12 k car so nice motor , we fully serviced it , new mot .It was spotless 

This old girl wanted a 4x4 estate so she felt good in winter driving to see her daughter . 

Went to look at one nearer to where she lives , fair comment i thought , It was dirty , mouldy , green mould in windows , filthy carpets , , She asked if he was going to clean it .

he told her to wind her neck in:o , I sell cars not a valeter, regards service lady get it done when you've bought it   lol . 

he lost the sale obliviously.  

She bought ours 

2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

had an old lady in about a month back now , selling a 4x4 Octavia 12 k car so nice motor , we fully serviced it , new mot .It was spotless 

This old girl wanted a 4x4 estate so she felt good in winter driving to see her daughter . 

Went to look at one nearer to where she lives , fair comment i thought , It was dirty , mouldy , green mould in windows , filthy carpets , , She asked if he was going to clean it .

he told her to wind her neck in:o , I sell cars not a valeter, regards service lady get it done when you've bought it   lol . 

he lost the sale obliviously.  

She bought ours 

And the lesson is do the job properly and thee will prosper.  

We put all our stock through the workshop:

Tyres with less that 2.5 mm are replaced

Full service to everything which hasn't been done in the past 3,000 miles 6 months. Those that were serviced recently still get air/fuel filter check.

Brakes with 30% remaining, or less, get the bin.

We didn't always do this, but over time we have learned its best practice. Biggest problem I see personally is fleet cars with FSH. Had a 2016 A6 in recently with 79,000 miles, impeccable service history, checked fuel filter, never ever changed (dated back in 2016) Air filter was original from factory also which was totally black and full with leaves.

Had this ended up at an independent garage down the line, it would have come to light it was never properly serviced, (yet showed FSH most from Audi) and giving us a bad name.

Don't know what's going on, are apprentice mechanics too lazy to do a proper service, or are they taking the filters home to sell on eBay or what? 

Edited by Scooby who

Go to a main dealer & I think most will stamp the book as long as it gets only oil & a filter.

Also I’ve noticed with fleet/lease cars they only instruct to do the bare minimum. Cambelt due but only 3 months left of the lease? They’ll happily leave it (tbh I’d do the same).

We recently had in a Mitsi with full main dealer service history including all receipts.  I drove it and noticed not much air was coming out of the vents. Pulled out the pollen filter and it was in a disgusting state. It had a date stamp several months before registration. Obviously the factory item. Why cheat the customer on something so easy to replace?

On 5/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, Frank Cannon said:

I will have to try that.........................sorry sir just checking the extent of your hard on,.......................... been told its a buying sign He He:D