Sign in to follow this  
Lakeside

Mini keys question

Anyone had an joy getting replacement R56 Mini key fobs made other than at a main dealer? Customer is complaining spare key doesn’t work/missing chip and Mini are quoting £175+vat for a replacement. Customer is saying everywhere else they’ve tried are saying it’s a dealer only part. 

Schoolboy error. ALWAYS check all of the keys & if you can’t get one working it’s better to throw it in the bin than hand over a non-functioning key.

As for Mini keys I wouldn’t know for definite but it sounds about right. I believe in the case of expensive keys on older cars, my key man installs a separate remote lock system so the punter ends up with a separate fob & a plain key. Admittedly too late for that now.

I believe this will be the 3 button key, BMW CAS system with ID46 transponder. Yes, there are auto locksmiths who can probably help you cheaper than the dealer. But its not going to be much cheaper IME...

In the 70’s if you had a top car where we are and it got nicked,a third party would quickly contact you about getting it returned provided you paid the ransom and they usually did.Nowadays it is probably better for thieves to forget stealing cars and just steal the keys.For example I think the latest Bentley key costs about 7 grand and is encrusted with diamonds.

28 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

I believe this will be the 3 button key, BMW CAS system with ID46 transponder. Yes, there are auto locksmiths who can probably help you cheaper than the dealer. But its not going to be much cheaper IME...

Yea it is the 3 button circular type key with the blade inside the fob

After much homework I bought  obdstar f101 and a new chip to clone last year to make a spare chip up for a toymota

I failed:D