trade vet

Bye Bye Autotrader,Google sales platform coming ?

CD mag news reporting that Google are test marketing their own platform which they intend to be global.I think that would be good news for the trade.Apparently there is no way they would be charging anywhere near Autotrader or it could even be free from the outset.

• Like 1

Everybody and theire dog think they can take on AT but if anyone can Google can

Just worry how we will show up against the big boys who will of course control their search appearances by means we wouldn't probably have access to ..

Be a dot of sand  in the desert we will, on a on a google platform . 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Just worry how we will show up against the big boys who will of course control their search appearances by means we wouldn't probably have access to ..

SEO Mate. 

would be nice to see a big player like that enter the market and shake it up. The likes of autotrader should be concerned if these type of players enter the market and i think they will, chasing the revenue, they certainly have the resources and know how to do it.

Won’t anyone be shedding any tears for AT? :lol:

20 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Depends how it's done, no doubt there will be costs involved to punt up listings. You can already pay for sponsored listings on Autoraper though. 

I think it would be fair to say that AT would be loosing sleep over this move though. 

Edited by Frank Cannon

4 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

I think it would be fair to say that AT would be loosing sleep over this move though.

Google is a powerful force i must admit , king is dead long live the king move I,m thinking 

23 hours ago, petrol head said:

SEO Mate.

Just see it now cant you with google , £20 for the advert platform , 3k for the SEO :rolleyes:

Either way we will get shafted just like AT 

On 4/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, David Horgan said:

I can’t think that favouring the big boys would do them any favours. The way they will make their money is getting as many people to advertise as possible.  The beauty of Autotrader for all its faults is my 10 cars will show up alongside someone with 100.  But I pay for the privilege. 

The thing is that when I started decades ago, AT wasn't so outrageously priced. That's not looking back with rose tinted glasses either. 

Now, we have a whole industry waiting, nay foaming st the mouth, to jump ship to another product that both works AND is reasonably priced, because its all about reasonable isn't it.

....seems such a simple ask for Google one wonders why its taken them so long? 

I wonder how Autoraper will react, head in the sand or cut the legs off their prices......my experience with AT will favour the former pose. 

4 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

The thing is that when I started decades ago, AT wasn't so outrageously priced. That's not looking back with rose tinted glasses either. 

Now, we have a whole industry waiting, nay foaming st the mouth, to jump ship to another product that both works AND is reasonably priced, because its all about reasonable isn't it.

....seems such a simple ask for Google one wonders why its taken them so long? 

I wonder how Autoraper will react, head in the sand or cut the legs off their prices......my experience with AT will favour the former pose. 

AT directors will need to come up with something to protect their share price and their bonuses.It hasn’t moved yet so it could be fake news.AT might want to lock dealers into longer term contracts in return for bigger discounts for increasing stock.On the other hand Google have the firepower to offer dealers free introductory advertising providing they drop Autotrader.We started using AT mag in 84 ( I think) and it was far cheaper than local newspaper advertising and it was brilliant for nearly 20 years before being sold and the rates then gradually went up and up.I do agree with the Autoraper tag as they have been netting 70% of their t/o for several years when the trade find it difficult to net 2%.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

AT directors will need to come up with something to protect their share price and their bonuses.It hasn’t moved yet so it could be fake news.AT might want to lock dealers into longer term contracts in return for bigger discounts for increasing stock.On the other hand Google have the firepower to offer dealers free introductory advertising providing they drop Autotrader.We started using AT mag in 84 ( I think) and it was far cheaper than local newspaper advertising and it was brilliant for nearly 20 years before being sold and the rates then gradually went up and up.I do agree with the Autoraper tag as they have been netting 70% of their t/o for several years when the trade find it difficult to net 2%.

B)

netting 70% of their t/o for several years when the trade find it difficult to net 2%.

This is a fact that **isses me off every year !

We struggle as an Industry to make net1.5 % , and they make 70 % , we can only dream of making a 5 % return, i personally  cant wait for Google to eat up some of their margin, about bloody time ! 

• Like 1

Realistically i would of thought that google or any of the tech giants could bury autotrader and the likes of if they want and i reckon its not if, but when.

I think it is perhaps happening slowly anyway with the younger generation, when i asked my sons (early 20's) where they would search for a car they said google and had never heard of autotrader.

Not sure if i will see it in whats left of my working life, but i do hope so.

Interesting this is.  I got an email from google analytics (I'm assuming Click got the same as they have access to my analytics) and it was basically saying about the changes to the new Google algorithm coming out next month (or end of this month,  as usual with google, but can't remember).

It specified the new DIV, ID, CONTENT, etc tags that the google spider searches.  The only reason the google spider looks for these tags is to show these "results" within the shopping category.

Didn't think much of it until I read the new on CDM.  Might be worth everyone checking with Click (or their web site provider) to ensure they are on board and the necessary changes have been made :)

JUST AN UPDATE - 

Had a lovely chat with Click and they are all over it so you don't need to chase them or do anything.  They will be contacting dealers closer to the time.

Edited by Earunder

Autotrader debate again, we tracked our leads as well as we possibly could from prospects upshot was multiple sites and google, used to spend £50,000 a year with Autotrader quit two years ago and never looked back! Only way to solve Trader monopoly is for trade to migrate on mass to one of the other offerings, sadly don’t think that will ever happen as we talk about standing together but do not have the conviction. Shame could all save a fortune and silence the corporate vampire