Huggins

Old Style V5 Tax?

Hi car just in from BCA who have have kindly sent me an old style V5 which I can't use to tax the vehicle obviously. What are my options please? assume I have to apply for a new V5 in business name? adding a keeper, a £25 fee and then wait 4 weeks for DVLA to pull there finger out?! Many thanks for any help Huggins

USE A V62 FORM , down load it from dvla , fill in VIN Number , Reg of car , New keeper details , and present at post office on sale day . 

take it to post office with new keeper details on , if you have the previous keepers post code it might save you £25 , if not it will cost £25 .

V62 will also tax the car for the new keeper and create a new V5 in their name . 

Phone the DVLA on Monday to check that it’s ‘in trade’ & confirm that it can be taxed with a V62 at a post office.

You'll still have to stump up £25 but you can get it on sale immediately.

I just checked online and its still showing as taxed so assume DVLA have not declares to trade. Whats the best way to proceed in light of the above please? 

So having thought about it; assume i'm going to need to V62 form it to my business name adding a keeper? No other way round it that I can think of?

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

USE A V62 FORM , down load it from dvla , fill in VIN Number , Reg of car , New keeper details , and present at post office on sale day . 

take it to post office with new keeper details on , if you have the previous keepers post code it might save you £25 , if not it will cost £25 .

V62 will also tax the car for the new keeper and create a new V5 in their name . 

This

Thanks Tony, BHM seemed to imply that it would need to be in the trade to able to tax at the PO using V62? But your saying it won't make a difference? 

It seems like an eternity since I taxed anything at the PO! 

3 hours ago, Huggins said:

Thanks Tony, BHM seemed to imply that it would need to be in the trade to able to tax at the PO using V62? But your saying it won't make a difference? 

It seems like an eternity since I taxed anything at the PO! 

Correct. If it’s not in trade it cannot be taxed immediately.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Correct. If it’s not in trade it cannot be taxed immediately.

OK thanks so check Monday with DVLA... who were so busy do to covid on Friday they didn't have anyone to answer the phones!! 

Assume if not in trade I will have to V62 it to the business? 

Thanks again 

16 hours ago, Huggins said:

OK thanks so check Monday with DVLA... who were so busy do to covid on Friday they didn't have anyone to answer the phones!! 

Thanks again 

Print a V62 fill it in with the reg and vin , take it to post office and ask the question , can it be taxed ? some will some wont , we have two PO and one does the work the other is a waste of space . If it needs to be in trade then put it in trade not your name , customer comes and take them to the PO . 

5 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Print a V62 fill it in with the reg and vin , take it to post office and ask the question , can it be taxed ? some will some wont , we have two PO and one does the work the other is a waste of space . If it needs to be in trade then put it in trade not your name , customer comes and take them to the PO . 

Going off topic,it reminds me of our helpfull family run PO from long ago.We were taxing stuff every day but because the PO was so busy and you had to queue up,it was quicker to leave the docs and make 2 trips.The postmaster suggested we just left an open cheque made out to the Post Office and he would complete it on a weekly basis.Months later I checked to see that the PO calculations corresponded with ours for mostly 3 month and the odd 12 month tax.It didn’t and we had been charged for a lot of 12 month instead of 3 month taxes.I asked them for an explanation and they invited me into their house.They said they used the PO computer system to calculate the weekly amount and they would never steal any money from us.They were very nice people but of course I didn’t believe them as there was thousands of pounds involved.They repaid us the money and we never used them again and the PO later closed up.Now reading about hundreds of cases where the Post Office had forced Post Masters to admit theft of thousands when all along it was their faulty computer system.Many of them had their lives destroyed ,went bankrupt,got jailed or died of ill health caused by the worry.I often think about our PO people because there was no way they would be ripping us off.I think it is a huge scandal especially the Post Office Cover Up which has taken years to uncover.

15 hours ago, trade vet said:

I think it is a huge scandal especially the Post Office Cover Up which has taken years to uncover.

I’ve been following this for years in Private Eye. Even when this final caseload started last year, the Post Office were still dragging their heals, making ridiculous claims & trying to get it chucked out of court. That obnoxious Paula Vennells, who headed the PO & knowingly covered up the Horizon system faults, should do serious time. It’s destroyed family businesses, and in some cases lives, and is an absolute disgrace to this country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve been following this for years in Private Eye. Even when this final caseload started last year, the Post Office were still dragging their heals, making ridiculous claims & trying to get it chucked out of court. That obnoxious Paula Vennells, who headed the PO & knowingly covered up the Horizon system faults, should do serious time. It’s destroyed family businesses, and in some cases lives, and is an absolute disgrace to this country.

Got to agree there , cant imagine being sent down for theft knowing well you didn't do it can you .

one question always sprung to my mind was .

how on earth did anyone imagine nearly 500 people decide to pull off the same scam , incompetence at the highest order , that Paula cretin should do time indeed 

50 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Got to agree there , cant imagine being sent down for theft knowing well you didn't do it can you .

one question always sprung to my mind was .

how on earth did anyone imagine nearly 500 people decide to pull off the same scam , incompetence at the highest order , that Paula cretin should do time indeed 

The Post Office have a bit of previous with guilty until proven innocent.

Dreadful story with 24 carat arse covering, be interested to see what happens next on this one with regards to PO internal affairs. 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, Huggins said:

Thanks again 

When you sell it and need to get it taxed;

Call Martin the taxman

Then post the blue V5 with customer detail to DVLA.

He can tax anything!

Update! After 38 mins on hold I got through to the DVLA welsh hotline and the chap there tells me I can 100% tax at post office using the old V5 that I have and just fill in new keeper details, don't even need a V62 apparently. I checked and double checked with him and he assured me this would be straight forward, I'm dubious! Just wish I had an app to record these calls on my phone.... 

What do you reckon my chances of success are? 

If the man at the DVLA said that then it’ll be right. However I’d take a V62 with you just in case the PO bod behind the counter say they want it.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, MattR said:

When you sell it and need to get it taxed;

Call Martin the taxman

Then post the blue V5 with customer detail to DVLA.

He can tax anything!

Where can I find Martin the tax mans details

On 4/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, Casper said:

Where can I find Martin the tax mans details

hes on the facebook t2t pages, martin moore. 07446888385. He can (apparently) get anything taxed. I needed a car taxing on a disabled reg doc on a sunday. He did it. charges about £50.

14 hours ago, MattR said:

hes on the facebook t2t pages, martin moore. 07446888385. He can (apparently) get anything taxed. I needed a car taxing on a disabled reg doc on a sunday. He did it. charges about £50.

Many thanks much appreciated 

For future reference Turns out it could be taxed with just the old style V5 at the PO