Paul C

BCA Remains Online only. In other news, bears sh** in the woods

What do we all think? I believe it is entirely possible to run an attended auction in a Covid-secure way, but obviously the BCA Accountants have crunched the numbers and dictated that they'll stay online only. Manheim too. You can't blame them if its simply where we would (probably) have been 10 years from now anyway, but its a bit of a shame for some of us.

I think they want their cake and eat it, their fees are a joke, we buy any car competes with those of you buying and selling second hand cars/vans. I think its time to boycott them and take get some PR spin out there, not sure what the best medium is, thoughts?

Online only still. I wish I bought from BCA!

Online has been a Godsend as far as I’m concerned. Shit cars with obvious faults bounced back at the auction houses for misrepresentation OR good money credited back. I’ve never had it so good.

I think it’s a shame auction houses all seem to be reopening. An opportunity missed to revolutionise the trade into an efficient Japanese-style auction system with cast-iron (supposedly) appraisals .

The majority of auctions can’t wait to let us back in through the doors to put the onus back onto us buyers. Believe me, the likes of Manheim want to take their £3-500 a bonnet with absolutely f.a. responsibilities.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1

One door closes another one opens.If BCA and Manheim go online only that might be good news for the smaller Independent Auctions.Once Main Dealer groups work out they will get more for older stuff from physical auctions,they will use the Independents.There is no way I would risk buying 10 year old stuff online based on their rules regarding descriptions.You might get them knocked down cheaper but I suspect you might be spending a lot of your time negotiating for partial refunds.I would prefer to see them,hear them and smell them and pay less in buyers fees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Online only still. I wish I bought from BCA!

Online has been a Godsend as far as I’m concerned. Shit cars with obvious faults bounced back at the auction houses for misrepresentation OR good money credited back. I’ve never had it so good.

I think it’s a shame auction houses all seem to be reopening. An opportunity missed to revolutionise the trade into an efficient Japanese-style auction system with cast-iron (supposedly) appraisals .

The majority of auctions can’t wait to let us back in through the doors to put the onus back onto us buyers. Believe me, the likes of Manheim want to take their £3-500 a bonnet with absolutely f.a. responsibilities.

Not sure where your buying from but BCA will still fight you to the end if you try and claim any money back or refuse a vehicle.

Cheaper end is hopeless online . small auctions will sweep up eventually on older stuff .

BCA more expensive stuff is a jungle too mind , Only thing working the assured system if you know how to work it . Got two low miles 18 plate 20 k cars in main dealer being fixed right under the assured scheme now so its a mind battle at present buying stuff 

4 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Not sure where your buying from but BCA will still fight you to the end if you try and claim any money back or refuse a vehicle.

Totally agree. 

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Cheaper end is hopeless online . small auctions will sweep up eventually on older stuff .

BCA more expensive stuff is a jungle too mind , Only thing working the assured system if you know how to work it . Got two low miles 18 plate 20 k cars in main dealer being fixed right under the assured scheme now so its a mind battle at present buying stuff 

I agree the smaller auction houses are more flexible & easier to deal with and as such deserve to take trade away from the inflexible big names.

I’ve never shopped at BCA but how do you get them to cover main dealer costs? I’m currently dealing with Manheim’s Surecheck scheme & the greedy bastards want videos of everything “Starting with the registration plate blah blah blah” and have financial caps on everything and are prepared to argue over the price of misappraised unroadworthy tyres. One thing’s for sure, Surecheck’s £50 +VAT diagnostics fee limit wouldn’t get much graft done at a main dealer. 

Edited by BHM

I have used a lot of the smaller independent auctions in the past.The best one by far was WOMA or West Oxford,family run and nice people who have long supporting dealer group vendors.If I was buying older stuff online,I would have no problem using them.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I agree the smaller auction houses are more flexible & easier to deal with and as such deserve to take trade away from the inflexible big names.

I’ve never shopped at BCA but how do you get them to cover main dealer costs? I’m currently dealing with Manheim’s Surecheck scheme & the greedy bastards want videos of everything “Starting with the registration plate blah blah blah” and have financial caps on everything and are prepared to argue over the price of misappraised unroadworthy tyres. One thing’s for sure, Surecheck’s £50 +VAT diagnostics fee limit wouldn’t get much graft done at a main dealer. 

Got a Golf R with leaking water thermostat housing , assured on water level light , Cost them £678 + Vat to fix .

The other is a £21k I30 N that failed to start , went to Hyundai on assured and they found a Ghost immobilizer fitted , Cost BCA assured £500 plus transport to fix it , broke again next day with same problem , So now its in main dealer again having a new wiring loom and ECU fitted , BCA contribution is £1500 and Hyundai are stumping up the rest to nearly 4k   to not fixing it in first place , Paid us £750 back in lost sales too . 

It all depends on how many cars you buy i think as to how easy they are to deal with . 

But my daughter can recite BCA T&C's off like nothing else , she goes back at them into a corner and it escalates  higher up till it gets paid out 

16 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Got a Golf R with leaking water thermostat housing , assured on water level light , Cost them £678 + Vat to fix .

The other is a £21k I30 N that failed to start , went to Hyundai on assured and they found a Ghost immobilizer fitted , Cost BCA assured £500 plus transport to fix it , broke again next day with same problem , So now its in main dealer again having a new wiring loom and ECU fitted , BCA contribution is £1500 and Hyundai are stumping up the rest to nearly 4k   to not fixing it in first place , Paid us £750 back in lost sales too . 

It all depends on how many cars you buy i think as to how easy they are to deal with . 

But my daughter can recite BCA T&C's off like nothing else , she goes back at them into a corner and it escalates  higher up till it gets paid out 

Wow. Do you have something on the BCA CEO;)

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

Wow indeed! Mr. Horgan deserves a medal for getting all of that PLUS £750!

Manheim’s Surecheck have got me jumping through hoops for a £300 claim (it  has reminded me why I buy little from them) & I’ve just had a £2500 lump of scrap delivered that’s been fully Surechecked so I’m bouncing it back under misrepresentation. Manheim management think the Surecheck system is there simply to sack off buyers to cover for their own incompetence. Been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt of Surecheck wriggling out of jobs & expecting me to work for f.a. on the other work. As far as I’m concerned it’s now either a full refund or money back at my quotation.

5 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

We spent 150k at BCA last week alone ,Probably  it helps  , plus my daughter is more on fire with the T&C's they the assured team  are .

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

We spent 150k at BCA last week alone ,Probably  it helps  , plus my daughter is more on fire with the T&C's they the assured team  are .

Good for her.There is no doubt when you email quoting their specific T&C paragraphs and subsections plus BTB online regs,they take you seriously.

49 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Good for her.There is no doubt when you email quoting their specific T&C paragraphs and subsections plus BTB online regs,they take you seriously.

I guess the amount you spend is the only thing they do take seriously. 

On 4/18/2021 at 11:56 AM, David Horgan said:

We used to spend a similar amount David prior to the online team. Never a problem we would sort any issues satisfactorily with the people we had a great relationship onsite at BCA. Online arrived and the "team" wanting to deal us on undisclosed damage. Suffice to say we have not bought from BCA for around ten years, they are still there as are we. Really good to hear that your daughter is so on it. It's a fight that I'm too old for :)