Sign in to follow this  
Tony911

Taxi warranty void

Any advice regarding this would be great and thanks in advance.

We have a hybrid car that someone down south wants to use as a uber aka taxi, just wondering if the warranty would be void. Just want to make customer aware before making travel arrangements. Sure this topic has been covered before but can't remember details 

I would think it depends on the provider and their T&C's, most taxi's would fail on servicing schedules in my experience.

This will obviously depend on the warranty provider, so best ask them for a definitive answer....  But IMHO unlikely to be covered..

There are specific warranty products for taxis, they are horrifically expensive though but, I can see why. 

Isn't a sale as a taxi classed as a business-to-business transaction, thus avoiding a lot of the consumer protection a customer would otherwise be entitled to?

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Isn't a sale as a taxi classed as a business-to-business transaction, thus avoiding a lot of the consumer protection a customer would otherwise be entitled to?

I believe so but just not sure

47 minutes ago, Paul C said:

At a guess I’d thought so, taxiing is for hire & reward so I struggle to see how it cannot be.

Hidden in the small print; If this vehicle is sold to, or used in the course of a business, then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 does not apply and as such are excluded from this purchase contract.

Business to business sale eg you to taxi man .

CRA doesn't apply , no warranty need be given as warranty is your choice . 

Plus who in their right mind would warrant a taxi 

Not a good idea to put a warranty on a taxi.Some of them can have 3 drivers and operate round the clock.What we always did was to guarantee they passed the taxi test which proved they were fit for purpose at the point of sale.The test had to get done within 7 days of purchase and experienced taxi drivers/ operators rarely objected to those terms of business and still don’t.

4 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Business to business sale eg you to taxi man .

CRA doesn't apply , no warranty need be given as warranty is your choice . 

Plus who in their right mind would warrant a taxi 

4 hours ago, trade vet said:

Not a good idea to put a warranty on a taxi.Some of them can have 3 drivers and operate round the clock.What we always did was to guarantee they passed the taxi test which proved they were fit for purpose at the point of sale.The test had to get done within 7 days of purchase and experienced taxi drivers/ operators rarely objected to those terms of business and still don’t.

Thanks guys just as we thought.

The sale of goods act and supply of goods act still applies

You need to make a watertight invoice before selling this as unsuitable seeing as they have advised you its intended purpose

Surely you can find a better customer?

The only two taxi sales I ever did....both went sour, I swore I'd never deal with a taxi driver again and haven't done....the best advice above is, avoid. 

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

The only two taxi sales I ever did....both went sour, I swore I'd never deal with a taxi driver again and haven't done....the best advice above is, avoid. 

Speak as you find.We have found taxi fleet operators to be a great source of business and met some interesting characters aswell.I can think of a town councillor who would only rent cars out to ex wagon drivers and a chemist shop owner who rented out quite a few.The best one though was a guy who reminded me of Fred Dibner the TV steeplejack ( who ! ) had a big fleet of cars and also small terraced houses which he either owned or sublet.His drivers would be his tenents on condition that they could only remain as tenants as long as they were his drivers.There was also an Asian guy from Teeside who ran a huge fleet who had devised some loophole where his drivers picked up and dropped off on bus routes for a set fare.All these guys were easy to deal with.

I’ve sold to plenty of taxi drivers over the years & never had any comeback. Not a single phone call.

My guess is rather like van buyers, they just want a decent motor but understand once they’ve bought it they own it. I’d be surprised a taxi buyer expected comeback unless times have changed.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:14 AM, BHM said:

I’ve sold to plenty of taxi drivers over the years & never had any comeback. Not a single phone call.

My guess is rather like van buyers, they just want a decent motor but understand once they’ve bought it they own it. I’d be surprised a taxi buyer expected comeback unless times have changed.

I’ve found this as well mate