russp

Transferring a vehicle within trade

This might be a daft question but if I have a vehicle that is currently in trade under my company name and I am selling it within trade to another trader, is there a way of doing this online?

Previously you just used to hand the V5 over with a receipt as there was no proper system or records.

However on DVLA online site under 'Tell DVLA you have sold, transferred or bought a vehicle' there doesn't seem to be an option to actually transfer within trade.

The only options are to either 'buy a vehicle into trade' but its already in trade, or 'sell a vehicle out of trade' which doesn't achieve anything either.

What do others do?

Advice appreciated.

I just keep a copy of sales receipt date and time of transfer and leave it as is .

Does depend on who though i must admit .

Have emailed DVLA to tell them its gone to whoever i sold it to in trade . That's when i don't know them .

Paper trail as said

I would rather not bother rather than selling to someone I didn't know was in trade as the hassle can be negotary as they said in convoy :D

Never thought to advise dv but then what's the point really when each and everyone of them has a different script

'bout 12 months ago sold a van to a a trader with an irish accent and  a van full of tarmac, was already in the trade - so just photocopied V5 and gave him the lot - 6 months later had a letter from the plod with a photo of it going through a redlight and a summons.......So I assume he'd not registered it in his name, it also wasn't taxed ....... so I just returned summons with a copy of the bill of sale .... I half expected something from the DVLA but haven't heard any more - so just keep a paper trail, can't see you can do anything else...

We had 1 yesterday but he couldn't prove to us he was I'n the trade so just got his name address copy of licence and done v5 online in his name, invoice kept and email from dvla. Like David said it does depend on who it is but if not sure just refuse

12 hours ago, Frank Cannon said:

Take a note of trade plates, too. 

No trade plates, not trade in my eyes. 

Now I've had time to find my way round faceplant i find every trader has a plate thrown in the window yet not registered on the mid

These same people will buy off you and mug it an hour later for £50 notes profit and walk off from the meeting place

So don't depend on this,I know a trader who's used a plate for yonks and never paid dvla its a rear one as well

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, russp said:

Previously you just used to hand the V5 over with a receipt as there was no proper system or records.

The same now, there’s no way of recording trade movements with the DVLA after initially being put into trade.

Record keeping is key here.

If it’s a trader unknown to you I strongly suggest you also get a copy of photographic ID or photo their truck/trade plates etc. Over the years I’ve only had a few of these trade deals that turned slightly sour when 6 months later the police drop-in unannounced or a speeding fine dropped through the letterbox. However police investigations etc. are NOT my concern, making money on cars is so as long as I’ve got some basic form of I.D. that’s good enough for me and, more importantly, good enough for the authorities.

There’s too much worrying here about who you sell too. If someone says they’re trade then they’re trade, however flimsy (or non existent!) their proof.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:22 AM, BHM said:

The same now, there’s no way of recording trade movements with the DVLA after initially being put into trade.

Record keeping is key here.

If it’s a trader unknown to you I strongly suggest you also get a copy of photographic ID or photo their truck/trade plates etc. Over the years I’ve only had a few of these trade deals that turned slightly sour when 6 months later the police drop-in unannounced or a speeding fine dropped through the letterbox. However police investigations etc. are NOT my concern, making money on cars is so as long as I’ve got some basic form of I.D. that’s good enough for me and, more importantly, good enough for the authorities.

There’s too much worrying here about who you sell too. If someone says they’re trade then they’re trade, however flimsy (or non existent!) their proof.

Wait till, the police come banging on your door in the middle of the night because a car you sold was traded on and was involved in a bad accident 

Didn't happen to me but I never forget it as it was a family member all he had done was p/x the thing in at a main dealer 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, It's me said:

Wait till, the police come banging on your door in the middle of the night because a car you sold was traded on and was involved in a bad accident 

I did have a visit from the police as a car had been in my name. As soon as I said the purchaser declared themselves as trade they were satisfied with that.

I don’t know if you’re aware but when the vehicle is in trade the police can’t see who the trade keeper is! Believe it or not, the DVLA records that are accessible by the police only show that the vehicle is ‘in trade’ but NOT who with. Hence in the event of an incident the police always go to the latest keeper on the log book & go from there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I did have a visit from the police as a car had been in my name. As soon as I said the purchaser declared themselves as trade they were satisfied with that.

I don’t know if you’re aware but when the vehicle is in trade the police can’t see who the trade keeper is! Believe it or not, the DVLA records that are accessible by the police only show that the vehicle is ‘in trade’ but NOT who with. Hence in the event of an incident the police always go to the latest keeper on the log book & go from there.

Thats what happened they brayed on his door 2.30 am to get him out of bed to arrest him,he showed the paperwork where it clearly showed he had p/x it in the days before and to whom

This is why we are saying paper trail always always,no trouser jobs

• Like 1